how are people adjusting

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Magz

how are people adjusting

Post by Magz »

With the hp/ac nerfs and the limits to pet runes how are people adjusting to everyday life as pet tanking goes?

My basic set up of mage, bard, poor clr with 3 merc wizzys has been reset(Named only). Flopping 1 wizzy for a clr.. maybe a second clr if i choose not hot key heal with box clr. Just being lazy. As before this was not really an issue.. i load up the all the mage pet AA stuff and hot key lights on box... and just burn or toggle pet to spawn adds. My setup supports the mage being the focus and others only support and help get instance when that content is a goal.

EM14, ALL AA to pet covered. ALL dps covered.
Bard mostly doing the big 4 meele. with a mix of dual mana(pulse with regen song) sometimes using reckless foci for heal crits. Sometimes fire foci. May need to review options, perhaps AC song support with be needed in T3. Have not seen that content atm.

Different note i would like to say thank you to Pie and others. I agree with your posts on SOE boards about this misdirection of this nerf. Supporting Tank upgrades and needed tools rather than fix a side show.

Also. Appears everyone using the EW raid for the showcase example of why this nerf needed to done. As I understand it. Raid mob gets stronger and stronger with more PC deaths.. but no counter to pet tanking deaths.. Or am i 100% thinking of something else here? Just feels like the hardcore tanks are fine.. but the middle causal.. gimmie gimmie whatever class can do this or that.. that they are putting the effort. Is this more raid forces using what they have?

Agro Meter showing pet toggle. You see your pet on top but means nothing to me as i know any PC in range really has it.

Anyhow just what to see how others are adjusting.. the small stuff me likes.

travel well
Magz
svenalo
Arch Magus

Re: how are people adjusting

Post by svenalo »

Not seen any real difference myself...life goes on.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Merc works harder, health bounces around more than previously. Multiple mobs on pet do more damage.
We sure can't fight with impunity.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Well I still don't see much of a difference in group content. EM18 focused earth pet, just self buffs and near max aa's, merc healing...still about to fight 2 and 3 at a time, even the yellow con corrupted in Shadows. Seems pretty much a push...

Raid content I see a big difference in the survivability of the water pet on Xorb 2 where we use them to deal with the elementals. Before the nerf they lasted a lot better - now its a lot more chaining in new ones because some of our healers can't keep them up. On other raids I don't see a lot of difference though.
Falore
Magician

Post by Falore »

People won't notice much of a difference unless they go to content that kinda pushes their pet.

I've noticed a difference in a few spots. Pet tanking convorteum raids (which I have boxed / done with a friend a few times to get rank 3 spell runes for pet aura and some other stuff) is a lot more iffy using a group pet focus. Also I suspect that new group named "The undefeated blade" would be a bit more feasible for pets to tank when he spawns adds in their pre-nerf form.

I'm guessing that raid focused pets are now going to be about on par with pre-nerf group focused pets which would mean raiders don't really notice a difference because pre-nerf group pets held up to pretty much everything well. a couple of the harder group missions in tier 2 will require merc bandolier juggling to replace mercs that oom while trying to heal group focused pets. However this problem may fade after the upcoming patch that makes these missions slightly easier.

Personally i think they should not have touched pets AT ALL at this point in the expansions life, they should have 100 percent left them alone and just given us a smaller than normal upgrade to pet power next expasnion (which is presumably less than half a year away)
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

I have had to change how I solo because of it as I don't use mercs, but everything else is kinda the same.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Well, got EM19 last night and the earth pet with that is even more a beast. Fought two trash pally ghost types in CH with no cleric merc or heals from me and just did my normal nuke and gargs deal...pet tanked no problem. Player came along and tried to tank one after that, and player got beat to 20% in a flash... So whatever it was they were trying to do to the pets against group content, if anything, didn't do much. Of course thats the top focus and I have nearly max aa's (only ones missing are like wind of malo), so that is a factor...but still, I see no appreciable difference to how they stand up against group content.

Raid content has been a different story...earth still survives ok, but fire and water get clobbered on some events whereas they didn't previous (water on xorb 2 for example takes far more of a beating than previous).
Felinya
Magician

Post by Felinya »

Big difference in group content. When killing named in T3 it's a crap shoot now at best. I have to really be on my A game, which I do suck and know it, in order to kill some new named mobs in T3. I only have 1250 aa's and EM14 but I absolutely see a difference.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

It really goes unnoticed to me. Can still do 3 or 4 mobs nbd in the end zones. Named have not been an issue either.

Like I said on EQlive this will do practically nothing to change how we play, which will be an issue going forward. I am worried about what the next step will be to nerf pets, that I believe we will feel greatly.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Felinya
Magician

Post by Felinya »

Says the guy with raid EM.