Kill speed: Are mages slow?

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Arterian
Magician

Kill speed: Are mages slow?

Post by Arterian »

Hola,

I have a question regarding the speed at which a mage can kill a mob. Here is the scenario:

My 90 necro with 1025AA can easily kill a mob 2x as fast as my 90 mage with 400AA. I'm trying to figure out if once my mage gets the same AA if the speed should be comparable, or if mages just have to settle for a slower grind.

I want to clarify, I'm talking about taking a mob from 100% health to 0%, not the amount of mobs that we can grind through in a given period. I realize necros will typically have the edge here due to their superior mana regen.

Any thoughts? I don't want to get discouraged and stop playing my mage if another 600AA will have me rocking just as hard as the necro.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Re: Kill speed: Are mages slow?

Post by svenalo »

Depends on the mob (its level versus you, its level versus your pet, its resists), your aa's, your focus effects, and your fighting style.
Arterian
Magician

Post by Arterian »

My AA and focus, EM8 are in Magelo.

Good example would be any Feerrott or HoT mob. Necro drops stuff pretty quick with dots whether kiting, root rotting or pet tanking.

Mage can pet tank all day but damage seems lacking.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Arterian wrote:My AA and focus, EM8 are in Magelo.

Good example would be any Feerrott or HoT mob. Necro drops stuff pretty quick with dots whether kiting, root rotting or pet tanking.

Mage can pet tank all day but damage seems lacking.

Its probably the difference in AA's.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Are you keeping damage shields up on your pet? And which pet? Armed with what weapons? And sending in RS and swarms? Etc? I fought 3 and 4 lizards at a time on that section where the temples are in feerott and mowed through them pretty well back at 90 with gear similar to what your magelo shows. But that also was with max AA's... Get all the pet and nuke ones and you can rule that zone pretty much...
Potawatomi
Volunteer

Post by Potawatomi »

First off you're missing some crucial AAs. You're missing FBO, Improved twincast, fire core, your spires and some other key AAs. Missing so many is going to hold you back in terms of DPS. You also need to take into account your low mana pool. The problem with comparing a Necro to a Mage is that a necro has near limitless mana. While we are stuck with what we have and few tools at that level to recoup mana. Also, in the soloing business, you're going to be hard pressed to out solo a necro. A decent necro can easily kite/root rot 4-5 mobs while we can take 2-3 tanking. The problem is that they can dot all 5 of those while we have to pick ours off one by one. Its simple math. They can deal more damage over time than we can.

My suggestion is to stay out of Feerrott until you hit atleast 1500 aa. Go to a lower level zone to grind out some aa where it will be much faster exp. This is where, we as a class, get the most bang for our buck. Thus the reason why there are so many threads dedicated to zeka, beza etc.

*Edited for terrible spelling and grammar.
Last edited by Potawatomi on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arterian
Magician

Post by Arterian »

That is what I assumed. I've been pushing to get 91 for new air pet but I probably should really focus on AA.

From a mana perspective, what AA would be the best to purchase first?
Vincentt
Conjurer

Post by Vincentt »

It's definitely the mana regen, and everything else mentioned above. Imagine what your mage can do with a constant flow like your necro! Once you up your AAs and efficiency (get the spec evocation/conjuration augs) and you'll see a much better ratio. I personally enjoy going full burn on a mage, and watching the skilled mages in my guild gives me something to shoot for. They do things that make my jaw drop.
Potawatomi
Volunteer

Post by Potawatomi »

Yes you need to get both the Evo and Conj shards.

Conj - http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=25090
Evo - http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=25839

For your mana issues. First off you are missing all of your Planar Power AAs and the Intelligence AAs( earthen, dreamlike, veiled). Also you need your Secondary Forte AA as well as the Mental Stamina AAs. You are also missing the spires which also adds a bit of mana and intelligence.

You have a choice to make. You can either continue on and get your DPS aa's maxxed for your level or you can start working on these AAs. Personally I'd say start maxxing PP and the other aa's then get back to DPS.
Last edited by Potawatomi on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.