Question About pet commands

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Lifnuker

Question About pet commands

Post by Lifnuker »

When I started before PoP I remember /pet guard would park the pet in the spot I told him to guard and he would attack anything that comes near that spot. I could be wrong its been years ago.

I am going to return when F2P comes back. So my question is does pet guard still do the same thing? or am I remembering wrong.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Re: Question About pet commands

Post by dorfillya »

Pet guard keeps pet in the same place, but pets are beta neutral faction, and nothing will attack them nor will pets attack anything, unless you get on mob agro first or you tell the pet to attack.
Last edited by dorfillya on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

You may be remembering way, way, way back when pets did in fact aggro on mobs. IIRC they were changed to neutral faction back in the Kunark days. The only way to do that now is to have /pet hold off and stand by your pet, then anything that attacks you will be attacked by your pet, however I don't see any practical application of that method these days.
Darkenr
Volunteer

Post by Darkenr »

Sillaen wrote:You may be remembering way, way, way back when pets did in fact aggro on mobs. IIRC they were changed to neutral faction back in the Kunark days. The only way to do that now is to have /pet hold off and stand by your pet, then anything that attacks you will be attacked by your pet, however I don't see any practical application of that method these days.
I may just be splitting hairs here, but I don't ever remember pets themselves agroing something outside of the rare pet going rogue bugs. They were not set neutral though until like you said sometime in the Kunark days. Although what did happen was "mobs" would agro the pet, which in turn obviously if the pet was attacked by something, it would attack back.

But ultimately to make the long story short, like others have said, no your pet will not auto agro things, and no mobs won't auto agro your pet either. You yourself must be attacked by something which in turn will cause your pet to attack, or you need to send an attack command to get your pet to attack something.

One thing to be aware of though is that mobs will assist other mobs on their same faction table if your pet is attacking it. So if your pet is attacking a gnoll, and another gnoll wanders too closely, that gnoll will join the fight and go right for your pet immediately. But if your pet is attacking a gnoll, and say a bear wanders past, then the bear will ignore your pet even if it's "Threatening/Scowl" to you and you're not within the bear's agro range.

Hope that all makes sense. And by the way, WELCOME BACK!! :)
Lifnuker

Post by Lifnuker »

Darkenr wrote:
Sillaen wrote:You may be remembering way, way, way back when pets did in fact aggro on mobs. IIRC they were changed to neutral faction back in the Kunark days. The only way to do that now is to have /pet hold off and stand by your pet, then anything that attacks you will be attacked by your pet, however I don't see any practical application of that method these days.
I may just be splitting hairs here, but I don't ever remember pets themselves agroing something outside of the rare pet going rogue bugs. They were not set neutral though until like you said sometime in the Kunark days. Although what did happen was "mobs" would agro the pet, which in turn obviously if the pet was attacked by something, it would attack back.

But ultimately to make the long story short, like others have said, no your pet will not auto agro things, and no mobs won't auto agro your pet either. You yourself must be attacked by something which in turn will cause your pet to attack, or you need to send an attack command to get your pet to attack something.

One thing to be aware of though is that mobs will assist other mobs on their same faction table if your pet is attacking it. So if your pet is attacking a gnoll, and another gnoll wanders too closely, that gnoll will join the fight and go right for your pet immediately. But if your pet is attacking a gnoll, and say a bear wanders past, then the bear will ignore your pet even if it's "Threatening/Scowl" to you and you're not within the bear's agro range.

Hope that all makes sense. And by the way, WELCOME BACK!! :)

Must have been. I remember the ec tunnels was the trade post. I used to part my pet in the sand on the tunnel side and let the mobs aggro my pet so he would start with the aggro. OK waiting for the March ftp date and thank you all, cant wait to jump back in
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Using /pet guard would make your pet essentially become a sentry. He would aggro and kill anything that got too close. I used to use this when I was a little mage soloing down in CC. I would sit at the top of a ramp where no mob would roam but I'd park my pet down a ways. Whenever the roamer came by, my pet would kill it. Also, I could malo pull mobs that way as he'd kill the mobs as they tried to run to me.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Forever ago people use to use the pet guard to do faction work. I remember once watching a dark elf stand at the bottom of blackburrow with a pile of gnolls around them. Eventually they responded to a tell. Their response was they were doing faction work for Qeynos while semi-afk My group was impressed that he was able to do that without dying.