Pet DPS increases

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Jedis
Administrator

Pet DPS increases

Post by Jedis »

Please post suggestions for pet DPS increases in this thread.

A mod or myself will go through and BOLD (or you can) your suggestions and we can discuss in this thread.

Any burst related DPS increases will be removed from this thread.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Re: Pet DPS increases

Post by Adonhiram »

Just some quick thoughts I had about sustained pet dps :

- Pet Nuke Crit AA (passive) : Allow pets to be able to crit on nukes, be it their innate damage spell, their summoned weapons and all other nuke procs they get (iceflame line, epic proc, HoT robe clicky, etc.) ; I remember several years ago we discussed this on the old mage boards and there was an issue raised about pet coding, I don't know if things have evolved since, maybe someone could enlighten us ?

- Same AA : Allow therefore fire pet to crit on its nukes and not only during FBO (same AA), though not as often of course ;

- Elemental Empowerment (passive) : I would like to see an AA which works a bit like the "Demonic Pact" demo warlocks get in WoW (sorry, I had a short WoW period, do not blame me) ; in WoW it is a passive talent of the demo tree which gives a chance, each time your pet scores a critical hit, to apply to the whole raid/group a 45 seconds buff which increases spell damage for X% for everyone. Considering especially our melee friends would yell if mage pets would have a chance of eating one more buff/song slot by proccing some aoe buff, this could be transposed to affect pets only in a raid/group party. Let's say each critical hit of your pet gives a chance of proccing a buff on all pets which would would raise their ATK value and their maximum damage for a short period of time and maybe give them a small nuke proc. --> Would benefit all pets and increase mage pets desirability, under the conditon it stacks with everything. Of course, I don't know if this would be a coding nightmare, so take it with a grain of salt.

- Raging Strike : Our gargoyle line of pet needs to do a bit more damage, especially in raid situations where it loses dps because of the path it needs to reach its target, considering we as casters are usually further away of our foes in raids then in group/solo. I suggest to give the gargoyle a form of "Gargoyle Harm Touch" (low resist high damage insta nuke the gargoyle throws one single time at its target on popping and rushing towards it). This could be either innate to the RS line of spells or a passive AA the mage can buy.

Regarding pet burst dps, I think the FBO line is fine, it just needs some more tuning/upgrading.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Unfortunately pet spell crits probably won't happen. Elidroth tried in the HoT beta to give us an ability like that, but it turns out pets simply cannot crit spells. It would require a code change (probably a complete rework of pets) to make it possible. The bonus nuke when the fire pet is under FBO was a way around it.

I like the idea of pets procing recourses onto us and the group/raid. They touched on it with our robe clicks the last couple of expansions, and it has a lot of potential. Just please god not a effect triggered by a pet kill shot like Beastlords have. That is just awful. Make it a regular proc/trigger over the course of a fight.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

Ah, so I was right in my memories, there was a coding issue on pet nuke procs... Thanks for info, Malleria ! Couldn't the bonus nuke fire pets get on FBO be applied to regular nukes ? I mean when the dices roll a crit for the pet, you'll get two nukes instead of one, is that possible technically ?

I totally agree on your point about the BST pet kill shot. Regarding the aoe benefits pets could bring to a raid party, instead of an AA it could indeed be a revamp of the HoT robe clickies : make it affect all pets in the radius (for the extra nuke) and all casters (for the extra focus on the next nuke) ?
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Two suggestions (I'm guessing not possible with current coding but who knows) that just crossed my mind:

Give us a new spell similar to summoned molten orb or ice shard clicky but make it pet only. Allow us to give it to our pet then introduce a new line of pet commands that allow us to tell our pet when to use it; IDK maybe like a pet greater command. Numbers (damage amount, refresh timer, number of charges, etc.) could be tweaked to suit the situation.

Next up (and I know this is a touchy subject) is make our flappy fire drake AA pet useful by making it cast spells as it does now but at the end if it's life make it suicide bomber on whatever mob we tell it to at the end of it's duration. Maybe even allow us to use an AA to tell it to go suicide on a mob on command rather than have it wait till the end of its duration.

These are just idea; no clue if they're good ideas or even possible but worst case scenario is they get ignored and nothing ever comes of them.
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

i think "requires a code change" is silly but anyway.. do you think we could start a sticky that shows what does and does not "require a code change"
Tacoma2586
Elementalist

Post by Tacoma2586 »

no tweelis the molten orb,etc lines ultimately suck. not worth the time or effort. and also fire drake really atm worthless would need big hp upgrade,casting dmg upgrade etc but that also is waste of time etc.
Failcon
Conjurer

Post by Failcon »

improving "flappy" is far from a waste of time. Many of us have him maxed and would love to see a useful return. Also it is nothing to reset a few numbers on Flappy, where as some the suggestions required code changes.

May the elements guide and protect you.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Tacoma2586 wrote:no tweelis the molten orb,etc lines ultimately suck. not worth the time or effort. and also fire drake really atm worthless would need big hp upgrade,casting dmg upgrade etc but that also is waste of time etc.
My point was "something similar with better numbers" for the pet. Would you still say they sucked if the pet only version was say 20k nukes with 30 charges and a 5 second recast?

Same goes with flappy. If it lived for say 1 minute and did 15k dps for that minute the suicided for a 50k nuke would you still say it sucked?

These numbers I tossed out are of course completely made up but taking something like molten orb and making it useful would be nice.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

To be honest we already have enough to click without having to add in another clicky but for pet only. It is a good idea, but I am not a big fan of more clickies especially on something you can pre-summon which means it wont be that good of a thing.

I would also much rather have Servant of Ro become 9 drakes (idc if it does the same DPS or increases the DPs some), but then that would eliminate the push that Host causes and would also allow us to have the correct amount of pets on the mob w/o melee bitching.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams