New Mage, kinda (lvl 90)

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Soulcrates

New Mage, kinda (lvl 90)

Post by Soulcrates »

Hey all, new at the Mage thing, i boxed him up to 90, but i dont really utilize him to his full potetnial. Now with my Necro (Soulcrates) is pretty well maxed out lvl and AAs i want to really learn how to play a Mage.

1st question, i understand the weave idea. Now i wanna know what your spell set looks like in a group setting?

How is the best way to handle mana regen? large rods, and or do you symposis at all? or the pet lich type spells?

Thanks for any info, Sc.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: New Mage, kinda (lvl 90)

Post by Voragath »

I pretty much just use RS, fickle, and bolt in group for dps. I use symbiosis always, click the large mod shard as it refreshes, same with harvest, and use thaumatize as it refreshes. I also have TC and spear up full time for DPS.

I am typically in groups where chain pulling occurs so I need all the regen I can get and will still occasionally have to skip a few mobs to do ooc regen.

For enraging mobs, I'll keep surge of shadowflares on the pet full time and occasionally hit a pc tank with it.

Other spells I have on my list that are usually situational are: aegis of kildrukaun rk. 3, pet heal, and pet PR.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

That pretty much covers it for the spells, but if my pet is tanking and healing is questionable, I also toss on Tellurian Stance RK3 as well, especially if a named is inc. The pet always has burnout and iceflame on it as well.

Gear wise get hold of the evo and conj stones, both mana return augs from HoT, a mana return weapon from HoT, and some mana pres shoulders. These will help your mana last longer and these days for a mage that is crucial.
Soulcrates

Post by Soulcrates »

Harvest, can you explain to me what that is? AA or spell etc?

AA wise i am 1000 ish, maxing my DD damage now. I have alot of activated stuff atm thats not maxed, gonna work on that next. Although, should i go ahead and get twincast before? for more DPS?

DPS atm is like 6k on named.

Looks like my spell line up is on par, and my weave. Only thing i noticed was, i am casting fickle before bolt, not Spear. So i will fix that.

Thanks for all the info so far, the mage seems fun, alot diff than the necro, so i gotta get used to it alittle.

Thanks, Sc.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Mage harvest is a ranked spell called Gather Potential. It came out with HoT and allows us to cast a spell and suck in a sizable chunk of mana.

Get twincast yes, but you need to get those pet aa's - a lot of them are very important, like Frenzied Burnout, the ones that boost pet mitigation and defense, the ones for pet dmg, and so on. With a mage, you need to remember that in a lot of things you have to take care of your pet first, then yourself - the chant of a mage is "My Pet! My Pet! My Pet!"
Soulcrates

Post by Soulcrates »

I just capped all the pet AAs with my necro, wasnt to bad. Soon as i get DD dmg, Twincast and Spires i will go after the pet stuff with the Mage. I have already noticed the Mage pet with EM8 is a riot, it tanks way better than a T5 merc now. I do have a few pet AAs thou, on the mage.

Gather potential, got it, and use it.

I group alot, with the same group of folks, so my pet wont tank. So i may shade towards max DPS before pet tanking ability. My group is War, Bard, Sham, Necro, Mage than the merc cleric. So were pretty stout group wise, all of us are about 3k AA. Somtimes we merc tank it if War isnt on.

What are some other DPS AAs i need?

Thanks, Sc.
Failcon
Conjurer

Post by Failcon »

Frenzied Burnout - major dps/tanking AA

Also remember if tank goes down bard is not going to likely last long, so your pet is the last (greatest) line of defence, don't sherk the pet defences. I pet tank alot, but I started getting pet defencives because in groups I found during wipes it was me and pet left, and I am gonna live!

May the elements guide and protect you.
Soulcrates

Post by Soulcrates »

Ok, DPS on the pet or spells is what i am after. So i will get it capped soon.

I am gonna work on Frenzied Burnout, Host of Elements, and Servant of Ro, cap them all. I am at 1200 AA so there cruising by pretty fast atm.

force of Elements worthwhile?

I have some of the pet AAs, Alactricity and Fury, not all capped thou. That will be after the above.

Quick is done i think, will check thou.

Host & Drape, will come soon enough.

Then on to the pet stuff.

That look like a good AA path?

I usually like to cap one at a time, just hammer away at one, till i cap it, then on to the next one. at some point i need to do the mana ones, radiant mana etc. Plus all the HPS ones to, but i wanna max DPS first. He will be in all T4 soon enough, so hps and mana will be ok till i can work on the AAs needed in that area.
vlada
Elementalist

Post by vlada »

Personally, I would not max Servant of Ro. I would put 0 AAs into that and focus on other lines. Servant of Ro has been underpowered for its massive AA cost for years. While it was adjusted to be more burst like, the AA cost to damage ratio is still way off.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Force of elements is very worthwhile. It's a mana free nuke and can crit. Use this thing during global cool down to add a little extra dps.