Raid parses

Anything relating to the physical - equipment, class balance, etc.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: Raid parses

Post by Piemastaj »

That's your problem imho. I never ever use an air pet on raids. I ALWAYS use water pet on every fight and always have him with sham buffs and FBO/second spire. Only time I use a different pet is Fire for trash.

And on that 10.8k parse I did not use 2 FBOs, mob last 100 seconds. That was also w/o Second spire, b/c I am dumb and forgot to buy it. And that was only queen, no trash in that parse so you might b higher if you just parsed the queen w/o the trash b/c every second lowers or raises your DPS.

I am not even in the top 100 for mana on EQplayers /shrug.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Redius
Conjurer

Post by Redius »

Water pet will add several hundred dps to your totals; and on fast burn fights, crit numbers play a much larger role. We did the tower version of AMV last night, and I rocked a 9.8k parse without 7th or Glyphs. Total fight length was 101 seconds. Looking back at the numbers, 52% of my hits were crits. That's not a normal outcome, but is far more likely to occur when the fight is a short duration burn. If you pop first spire, silent casting, focus of the arcanium and fire core before you engage the mob, then do back to back garg pets using forceful rejuv, and immediately follow with twincast, you'll be putting out a massive amount of damage (pet had FBO, but not second spire). Remember, if you're looking at a fight thats' just under 2 minutes, your twincast is running for over 20% of that, and all the rest of your activated aa's are working that whole time. Total mana doesn't really play into a burn fight, because you're only able to use (at most) 15k's worth, and that's if you dont' get a single Go*M proc (I only had 40% mana coming into the fight with AMV, and had mana left for the taskmistress next)

One other thing, a 65% focus to 80 is a big drop off when you're considering what your focusing. What I mean by that is that if you're burning hard, and getting more crits than normal, the smaller differences in the foci become much larger. The more damage per nuke you can muster, the more that can be focused by the larger focus item.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

It comes down to basically the one rule for almost all raiding mages is use water pet with Frenzied burnout. That pet with that ability has proven to be our biggest DPs pet while the ability is on it. After that its mix and match our abilities from AAs and spells in a way that works for you to put out the most DMG possible in set amounts of time. What abilities and spells to use is up to the user. Doing what Redius said above might work great for Redius, but it could suck for someone else doing it.

Basically, I do not like telling people what to do or not to do on raid fights, b/c what I do works perfect for me and my guild b/c it nets me good amount of dmg/dps. But, I know it won't work for everyone else. So, Sue my suggestion is take a look at our abilities and spells and see which you would think would work best to use for u at specific times. I would experiment some also and just test it out for yourself to max your DMG/DPS. That's basically what I do until I find a nice setup. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Sillaen wrote:Are you using 1st spire and/or 7th? Makes a difference.
I can put out 6K dps and my gear is nowhere even close to yours.

I usually do the double FBO thing on my air pet, since it's usually the pet I have up and like to have with all buffs for after raids. I also use the TSS robe. Lost 2 rolls (to a SK) on the OoW one last time we killed OMM, and Veliktorin refuses to drop the lesser version for me.

My fire focus is 65% - 80 so not anything stellar.

You must be missing some dmg somewhere.
Have 6.3 yrs so no 7th as of yet.
Don't use expendable DPS AA's
I have 90% sleeves, EM8, and SoD Tower 4.5 raid chest clicky

And I agree you are right that I must be missing some dmg somewhere.
If it was just me I would say hmmm, but none of the magicians i raid with do more than say 8k on a good day.
Wizards who raid with us occasionally do 10k to 11k.

So i think that although we are all using Game Parse, there must be something the parser is not picking up.
The DPS is definately there as we can clear SoD Tower in a single night if we push it and normally do at least 5 events with long AFK time outs in between events -- 7pm to 11:30pm normal raid time.
Doing Hard mode has been no problem, so again our DPS is there.

Just bugging me that all you guys are seeing 3k to 4k more DPS than we are.

Suediwenae...
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Parses are completely reliant on positioning. If you're out of range of the people running the parse then the parse won't pick up actual damage. I forget what the radius is for people to see each others damage but if you're outside that radius then you'll never get an accurate parse. Like I've said before, do your own parses. If you do your own then you'll see all the nuke damage from yourself. If you have a FBO waterpet in backstab damage doing 300dps or a RcS pushing out 400dps then you know you're missing something. If your parses and the raid leaders parses don't match then one (or maybe both) of you is missing something. If you're geared like you say and are doing similar spell weaves to others with your gear/aa level then it just doesn't make sense that you're doing that much less damage than they are.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Actually parsing has nothing to do with your proximity to the parsing player, except for DoTs. All damage (except DoTs) is displayed in proximity to the mob being damaged, not the player doing it. So whoever is doing the parsing needs to be near the mob, but doesnt need to be near the rest of the raid. DoTs are the exception, their damage is displayed in proximity to the caster - which is why you never see a reliable necro parse.

Discrepancies between your self-parses and others' parses can happen for various reasons: pet procs are only visible to the pet owner, your pet not being linked to your entry, the parsing player lagging, or moving out of range of the mob for a few moments, etc.
Ivocare

Post by Ivocare »

Malleria wrote:Actually parsing has nothing to do with your proximity to the parsing player, except for DoTs. All damage (except DoTs) is displayed in proximity to the mob being damaged, not the player doing it. So whoever is doing the parsing needs to be near the mob, but doesnt need to be near the rest of the raid. DoTs are the exception, their damage is displayed in proximity to the caster - which is why you never see a reliable necro parse.
QFT. They should put this on the zoning screen, and on the character select screen, you should have to sign a legal document saying you have read and understand this before you are allowed to play. So many people still do not understand this and trying to explain it to them almost seems futile. Parsing is not as complex as people make it out to be. I think such misconceptions about parsing proximity are perpetuated by people trying to find reasons for why 2 parses do not show exactly the same number when in reality the reasons are usually very simple, which I will also QFT...
Malleria wrote:Discrepancies between your self-parses and others' parses can happen for various reasons: pet procs are only visible to the pet owner, your pet not being linked to your entry, the parsing player lagging, or moving out of range of the mob for a few moments, etc.
As to the reason for 10k parses on queen without using 7th or glyphs, it is a matter of luck. When you have a fight lasting only 100 seconds a string of crits can sway the parse in a huge way. Even if you are using the same weave and have the same focus you still may not see such a high parse. While it is fun to have such a parse, it is not an accurate measure of reliable DPS, it is a fluke, a fun fluke, but still a fluke. I personally parse around 7.5-8k DPS on queen. I am consistantly able to reach that so imo it is a more realistic goal than hoping the RNG swings in your favor and gets you 10-11k.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Whoah whoah whoah, calm it down Mr. Pietas!

But anyway Ivo is right. Considering on every other Queen parse I am in b/t 7.5k and 9k DPS this indeed was a fluke of sorts. I did get quite lucky on crits and it showed in the parse being that it was quite short, and I did use a ton of my mana in this 100 seconds (iirc i was at like 50m or lower when we finished the fight). So obviously It would not have been doable for another 100 seconds or it would have been really close to running me oom.

Like Ivo, I would rather parse consistently 7.5k to 9k every queeny fight then be pissed off when I don't hit the 10k mark on her.

Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Piemastaj wrote:I just do the normal weave and make sure my water pet gets FBO/second spire on him then suspend him.
I completely forget about doing 2nd spire on him. I need to make sure and do that next burn fight!
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Indeed. Make sure you do it with like 9mins to spare though, b/c it does make first spire not useable aswell.