Mage basics

Help rebuild the Library of Knowledge for Magicians.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Re: Mage basics

Post by Zacatac »

Merlaina wrote:I wonder, since the summoned ice shards aren't no trade, could you theoretically summon several and drop them on the ground in front of you before a big fight (assuming the big fight will be coming to you)? Like we used to do with mod rods? Use one up in your weave and when it's gone pick up another? I'm not sure how long items stick around on the ground these days, but seems to me it would at least be reasonable to make an extra two or so of these. Not to mention you can hand them out to wizards as well for use in their weaves.
It's an interesting idea. Might be worth trying with just 1 at first. Remember it will take a minute to use one up, and stuff on the ground poofs after a few minutes. Also, if you burn that mana before fight, you need time to med back up to full as well or you lose the advantage.
wire
Elementalist

Post by wire »

Merlaina wrote:I wonder, since the summoned ice shards aren't no trade, could you theoretically summon several and drop them on the ground in front of you before a big fight (assuming the big fight will be coming to you)? Like we used to do with mod rods? Use one up in your weave and when it's gone pick up another? I'm not sure how long items stick around on the ground these days, but seems to me it would at least be reasonable to make an extra two or so of these. Not to mention you can hand them out to wizards as well for use in their weaves.
I used to do this a lot back in SoF. You can make some interesting patterns with the dropped items, since they look like the icon while on the ground. And ya, this lets Wizards pick them up too. I don't really have the patience for it while boxing on raids these days. However, the main reason I stopped was because you can really only do it effectively on fights where you are already in the room while preparing to engage. There's not too many DT fights that meet that criteria... maybe DT7 or DT1/5 depending on how your guild manages those. The solution I came up with was dropping a bunch before encounters, then asking the other raiders that can't use them to pick them up immediately and drop them again mid-fight so they'd be available without the risk of them poofing. It's a pain, but it works if you can get people to play along.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Zacatac wrote:
And finally, a note on specilization. For years and years, it used to be the great debate of mages, Evocation or Conjuration?

At this point in life, mages should be EVOCATION as primary spec, and CONJURATION as secondary (you did buy secondary forte AA, right?). While in the past it did make some sense to be conjuration, it really doesn't now.
And after UF came out, this part isn't exactly true either. With the new AAs that affect RS pets (shorter cast refresh time, longer duration pet) it has been determined by the higher end mages (who chain cast RS for maximum dps) that you can benefit from being CONJURATION spec again. Some of them have actually switched back.

For mages who don't have the 35k+ mana pools and use RS less frequently, or only on GoM procs, it would still be beneficial to be EVOCATION.
Last edited by Zacatac on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maneki Neko

Post by Maneki Neko »

Zacatac wrote:
Zacatac wrote:
And finally, a note on specilization. For years and years, it used to be the great debate of mages, Evocation or Conjuration?

At this point in life, mages should be EVOCATION as primary spec, and CONJURATION as secondary (you did buy secondary forte AA, right?). While in the past it did make some sense to be conjuration, it really doesn't now.
And after UF came out, this part isn't exactly true either. With the new AAs that affect RS pets (shorter cast refresh time, longer duration pet) it has been determined by the higher end mages (who chain cast RS for maximum dps) that you can benefit from being CONJURATION spec again. Some of them have actually switched back.

For mages who don't have the 35k mana pools and use RS less frequently, or only on GoM procs, it would still be beneficial to be EVOCATION.
I switched to Conjuration a few weeks back, and I like it quite a bit :)
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Maneki Neko wrote:I switched to Conjuration a few weeks back, and I like it quite a bit :)
Yeah, but you have the extra mana to burn :P

For example, last Friday we did Pallorax normal raid. I burned hard, using RS. Used up 50% of mana on 1st round, another 50% on 2nd round, got to 3rd round, burned last of mana and hit Staunch AA, burned another 50% mana on 3rd round, burned another 50% mana on 4th round, and then got to the final round out of mana, but it gives you mana on that round so burning hard again.

Then after we get that done, a bunch of people leave, and we decide to do it again, on hard mode.

Well at that point I simply have to change tactics. I cannot afford to burn that hard without Staunch AA up. So I go back to chaining nukes and clickies and any +dmg AAs I can use, and RS only on GoM, for the 4 rounds so I can get to round 5 just barely out of mana.

So conjuration would have greatly helped me on the 1st run, but it wouldn't have done much at all during the 2nd run.
Tacoma2586
Elementalist

Post by Tacoma2586 »

how much dmg over whole fight did you do to pallorax zac on first go around.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Post by Zacatac »

Tacoma2586 wrote:how much dmg over whole fight did you do to pallorax zac on first go around.
Well it looks like I didn't log last week, so can't compare the 2 runs unfortunately.

Here are some older ones -
Pallorax the Soul Slayer in 1042s, 16788k @16111dps --- Zacatac + pets 2332k @2238dps
Pallorax the Soul Slayer in 840s, 25959k @30904dps --- Zacatac + pets 2047k @2490dps
Pallorax the Soul Slayer in 951s, 21303k @22401dps --- Zacatac + pets 2239k @2356dps
Ninven

Post by Ninven »

Zacatac wrote:A necro in group can help with the +mana regen buff for longer fights.

What's this +mana necro buff you speak of?
JerusEQ
Magician

Post by JerusEQ »

Ninven wrote:
Zacatac wrote:A necro in group can help with the +mana regen buff for longer fights.

What's this +mana necro buff you speak of?
Mind Decomposition
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

Zacatac wrote:
Tacoma2586 wrote:how much dmg over whole fight did you do to pallorax zac on first go around.
Well it looks like I didn't log last week, so can't compare the 2 runs unfortunately.

Here are some older ones -
Pallorax the Soul Slayer in 1042s, 16788k @16111dps --- Zacatac + pets 2332k @2238dps
Pallorax the Soul Slayer in 840s, 25959k @30904dps --- Zacatac + pets 2047k @2490dps
Pallorax the Soul Slayer in 951s, 21303k @22401dps --- Zacatac + pets 2239k @2356dps

I've been out the last 2 weeks moving, but it never fails that I parse 2nd in my guild on every Pallorax run (hard or normal). I am beaten every time by 1 particular wizard. It's not by much, but we are the only 2 people so far who have come in at over 5 million dmg on that fight. I burn hard the 1st 20%, then switch to weaving jolt, shock, shock (yes, I'm conj spec), RS on GoM procs and clickies in between. Sometime during the last 20%, most dps AA's are back up and I burn hard again with the normal weave, if we get the mana regen (occasionally we don't). Only the 4th 20% doesn't get a FBO (3 times in that fight) or a robe clicky to keep pet pumping at maximum capacity.

Next time I'm able to attend one, I'll get some of those fire pots and see if that can push me far enough to beat the wizzy. That's my goal atm. Once I get my computer back up and situated, I'll see if I can find a couple of parses.