So, how are mages nowadays? ;)

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
SilverbladeTE
Arch Magus

So, how are mages nowadays? ;)

Post by SilverbladeTE »

been what 5? years seen I played EQ1, , expansion after that dreadful "Gates of Discord", forget the name...

so how's the class, and game nowadays? :)

edit, smurfing typos as usual ;)
Last edited by SilverbladeTE on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--| http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |--
Art, D&D, 3D tutorials, and yes I used to be a magican, a bloody good
one you smurfing whippersnappers!! :p
Danille

Re: So, how are mage snwoadays? ;)

Post by Danille »

We are in better shape now than prior to SoL. Having a blast!
IblisTheMage

Post by IblisTheMage »

Aye, came back 4-5 months ago, also had a 5 year break, the game is GREAT, so much better than it was back then, and so much better than WoW, which I played for the years in between...
Falino-Luclin
Elementalist

Post by Falino-Luclin »

Mages are good, definitely in the best shape we've been in a long time. The only time I can remember my pet being stronger is when I was using my 1.0 pet when it was still the best pet in the game. With mercenary clerics we can solo extremely well both for exp and loot.
SilverbladeTE
Arch Magus

Post by SilverbladeTE »

hm
thanks guys! :)
did they ever fix the bloody fire pets? :p
--| http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; |--
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Heya Silverblade long time no see.

Pets are beefy, AAs are great. We're back to where we started w/respect to our reliance on pets (and our extreme otherwise squishiness).

It's a second Mage Renaissance (first being DoDH era).

Green pet-pulling is dead (grumble), but we have a Super Pet - 3 ticks of damage madness and tanking mayhem.

Pet foci are progression-based so you don't have to wait any longer for that exceedingly rare drop then contend with other "Pet" classes for it. That's a huge and welcome change that is often not mentioned.

Fire Pet is good situationally, and light-years past your remembrance of Kunark Fire Pets.

Jump in - you'll enjoy it.

Bara
Eeger

Post by Eeger »

I've no complaints about the mage. Definitely prefer it to my prior class (BL). Only thing I can think of that is missing is a new Manifest of Elements.
[81 Grand Summoner (Magician)] Eeger Beever (Gnome) <Callidus> Zone: Sanctus Seru
Falino-Luclin
Elementalist

Post by Falino-Luclin »

Fire pets are decent in the right situations, but suffer from a few problems, mainly that AAs that increase the DPS of your other pets don't help the fire pet, and buffs do essentially nothing to help them either.

I'll use them in some situations like if my pet dies on a raid I can quickly summon a fire pet and send it in since I don't have to worry about buffing it, etc, and it can be good against raid mobs that have specific abilities like mean short range AEs, etc.
SilverbladeTE
Arch Magus

Post by SilverbladeTE »

*waves at Barmaos!* :)

hm, so fire pets are still nukers?
any good summon clickies think we get some kind of nuke clicky summons form what I read?

hehe I gave away a huge amount of stuff afore I left, iirc.
Calebe
Arch Convoker

Post by Calebe »

Hi Silver. For summoned clickies we still have the molten orb from DoN, and we get upgrades to the ice fragment clicky nuke but all lore, so can still only have one.

Fire pets are the new (sorry about the pun), the fire and forget pet. You target a mob and tell it to attack. It will self root in place and cast nuke after nuke after nuke. You don't need to buff it. It uses no mana so it will nuke till mob is dead or it dies. It is the perfect pet to use for trash clearing. It's nuke is insta cast with a recast delay. So if trash mobs die fast this will get in a few nukes without all the running back and forth. It is also a good choice for any mob not fire immune. It is not the best DPS pet but is isn't bad at all, it is a range attack as a bonus, it is stead DPS, easy to replace as no buffs required. While I mainly use a water pet on raids, I will on event 7 in Tower (boss mob), when the water pet dies, I break out a fire pet and it will last the rest of the fight.

So I am glad to report we have 4 very useful pets again. The new air pet is a fantastic solo pet or grouping pet with it's stuns and survivability. The water pet unmatched for it's DPS, the earth is one mean tanking pet at the expense of DPS, and the fire pet is a long range nuking machine. All in all mages are doing well, but we need to remain vigilant or will fall behind.

Calebe