Pet is 87, I thought he'd be 89

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Vincentt
Conjurer

Pet is 87, I thought he'd be 89

Post by Vincentt »

I equip a Whisper-Steel Loop
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item ... tem=100918
and it has EM8.

I also equip a Chipped Shards of the Dread on the other ear.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=91932
it has EM5.

I summoned a the level 86 air pet and it only conned even to my level 87 wizard box. What gives? I thought it would be boosted by 4 levels, and be a level 89 npc.

???
svenalo
Arch Magus

Re: Pet is 87, I thought he'd be 89

Post by svenalo »

Why would you think that?
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

The pets level does not matter.

I am assuming because the pet foci increased by 3 levels and the pet is 86 is where those levels were thought of. However that isn't how it works.
Last edited by Piemastaj on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Vincentt
Conjurer

Post by Vincentt »

I thought so because the level 81 air pet (base 80) becomes a level 84 npc.

pet boost is 90% from base is what I've gleaned. And I know that the only the highest EM takes effect, and their effects are not cumulative. At first I thought wearing both caused some kind of bug. No evidence of that yet.
Last edited by Vincentt on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleiss
Conjurer

Post by Fleiss »

It is not a 90% gain it is additive 90 pet power. In any case just like lvling in eq has become, each level take more xp. So 90 pet power points bought you 3 lvls at 81, those points will not buy you as much at 86. If that was the case, our pets would out level us by like 10 at 100. Also, like mentioned, Lvl doesnt mean as much to pets.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

The pet power on the ear is meaningless. It is just a bookkeeping thing inside eq code.

Here's how pet focii work. Each pet is a template. Their is the base pet with no focus. Then there is a completely separate pet that is summoned when you have a foci equipped. Each pet is hand-tailored by the dev in charge of spells. There isn't x level gain, or y power boost, etc. All the focus does is redirect the pet summon spell to call up a specific template.

Generally, over the past few expansions, the pet only goes up a level or two. That's less important than the actual values that the stats (hp, ac, avoidance, etc) the pet has. It comes into play in certain situations, but overall stats > level. It will be an issue if the pet is not appropriate level for the spell (eg. it's a level 60 pet when the spell is a level 71). At lower levels other than the endgame, it can come into play in a big way as you are taking on foes vastly stronger than you and pet; at the endgame, levels only play a small role.