Burst DPS increases

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Jedis
Administrator

Burst DPS increases

Post by Jedis »

Please post suggestions for burst DPS increases in this thread.

A mod or myself will go through and BOLD (or you can) your suggestions and we can discuss in this thread.

Any pet related DPS increases will be removed from this thread.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Re: Burst DPS increases

Post by Malleria »

Boost Fire Core.

Make it a huge boost to damage: 300%-400% mod. Then make it affect our magic spells as well as fire.

The reuse and duration limit it to burn situations, so no issues with it affecting our sustained.

Clean. Simple. Solves the problem outright.

Problem with reducing cast/refresh timers on our nukes: Mana consumption. We shouldn't have to choose between burn or sustained. We should be able to burn for a period and then sustain for a while after.

A new Clash line with the same pet dependency wouldn't address the greater pet issue. Clash based on hate list... yea, maybe. But that stops being burst and becomes raid sustained. There's always going to be a ton of people on every mobs hate-list all the time in a raid, so it's not really burst anymore.
Adonhiram
Conjurer

Post by Adonhiram »

/nod Fire Core as it is now is not of much help to raise significantly on a short period of time our burst damage, it needs a serious upgrade.

I had a thought also about a form of activated "Fickle AA" which would make it possible to launch the Flames of Power buff for any fire nuke we cast during a limited period of time, and not only when casting Fickle, which we don't use much anymore while raiding (personnally I use a combo of Fickle/Bolt only on trash, if ever I have time to cast two nukes, and use RS/Spear/Clash/Bolt on boss mobs).

This means our weave on boss mobs could be "fickled" without using in the weave the lower dps Fickle nuke. But for this hypothetic AA to be of a real use in the burst department, there needs to be some adjustment made concerning the chance of the Flames of Power proccing and the value it adds to the focused nuke, as in its current state it wouldn't be sufficient :

The actual recourse has a 25% chance of proccing, the recourse itself focuses the next fire nuke from 1 to 100%, which roughly equals a 0.25x0.5=0.125=12.5% increase in dps, and I haven't even counted the 1% chance of proccing the debuff.

A "Fickle AA" should therefore have a higher chance of proccing (50%, 66%, 75% ?) and/or a stronger focus value (1-150% ?, 1-175%?, 1-200% ?) than the actual Fickle recourse. In the coding department, that means our SoE beloved people can't just grab the existing recourse and put it into an AA, that needs some tweaking around the two variables and some maths around the dps increase they want us to have for what period of time (duration of the AA) and for what frequency (refresh cycle of the AA).

There is also a third path/variable to explore regarding that idea of a Fickle AA, it is to also add an increase of our crit chance to the recourse's effects.

I haven't done any maths besides the short calculation above we all know by heart, but personnally I like the idea of an AA which somehow suits our line of nukes we got in DoD era. Also, it is restricted to fire for launching the proc which suits our class (not saying nothing should be done about our magic nukes of course).

Last but not least, to avoid multiplying new activated AAs which we don't know anymore on which free HotBar slot to put, the Fickle AA could be an upgrade to the Fire Core line, making it the higher future ranks of the current Fire Core, becoming therefore "Fickle Core" (if this makes sense in English ?). Different ranks with pretty high cost in AAs could increase the chance of proccing and the strength of the recourse, and/or add an increased chance of critting.

Just my 2 cp to our burst neurosis :ugeek:
sharrien
Elementalist

Post by sharrien »

Malleria wrote:A new Clash line with the same pet dependency wouldn't address the greater pet issue. Clash based on hate list... yea, maybe. But that stops being burst and becomes raid sustained. There's always going to be a ton of people on every mobs hate-list all the time in a raid, so it's not really burst anymore.
A new clash line could work for burst dps if it was a short/instant cast AA on a timer instead of a spell, this would allow limits to be placed so that it could be designed as burst dps without overpowering our sustained. Or a summoned nuke stick with charges that has a very long cast time/high mana cost to summon so would be impractical to replace during most raid fights or during an xp grind after being expended. Either one could be cast between spell refreshes, so could be added to existing weaves.

A hate list based clash would be best, but pet would be OK too if the damage ramps up high enough.
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

An AA significantly boosting the base damage or our nukes for a short fixed period that scales up depending on the size of the group/raid - could even be done as the next rank/ranks of Fire Core. The general idea is in this post http://www.eqmagetower.com/forums/viewt ... &start=140.
soulhate
Trial Member

Post by soulhate »

Add a fourth spire that has a 40% crit mod to bring mage burst crit rate to the same level as necromancer and wizards.

Boost fire core to 100% to boost damage to same level necromaners and wizards get from crit destructive spires.
JerusEQ
Magician

Post by JerusEQ »

soulhate wrote:Add a fourth spire that has a 40% crit mod to bring mage burst crit rate to the same level as necromancer and wizards.

Boost fire core to 100% to boost damage to same level necromaners and wizards get from crit destructive spires.
All that would do is put mages in the same situation wizards are in that glyph of the cataclysm doesn't help burst dps. Unlike DOTs and melee Crit damage Modifiers do not stack for DDs, so all this would do is either A) let mages use lost secrets and still get initial burn with spire, B) let them extend the burn by using spire then glyph, C) nothing as first spire will still be used to boost crit rate at the beginning.

Haven't played my mage since first month of HoT but starting to get interested again =)

Crit mods are evil for DD casters, which is a shame because it stacks for every other damage type.