Pet DPS increases

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
qibrme
Conjurer

Re: Pet DPS increases

Post by qibrme »

Piemastaj wrote:Like I said, you put the AOE thing on a pet weapon. If you notice rune procs do not gain attention of unecessary mobs, they only gain the attention of mobs currently on your hatelist. And I would absolutely want this on my pet in current content because I frequently have adds and generally they beat my merc down.
Currently, if you pull a mob without doing damage -- Malo, etc -- if your path into camp has the new mob pathing close to your pet that is tanking another mob, the new mob will agro on your pet.

I always keep /pet focus on and send pet to hit adds for 1 tic which is enough to draw agro, then send the pet back to the original mob.
Or if content is too high for pet to tank 2 mobs, RS is the off tank of choice.

I would caution against any AOE ability on pets due to lack of absolute control.
The negative consequences in Solo/Group/Raid situations out weigh the few times I can think of where an AOE that would draw mobs to my pet that I did not specifically ask the pet to agro, would come in handy.

For farming low level mobs I always just run through the zone with /pet focus but not /pet hold -- target a mob -- /pet attack then target the next mob and /pet attack.
Do that for as many mobs as you care to take on at one time.
When you stop gathering mobs, tell pet which mob to tank 1st then go through the list until all are dead. -- If mobs are low enough, use BEAM nuke.

AOE -- What would be the range?
What would be the duration?
Do we turn it on and off or is it on all the time?

As for mercs, Don't they follow the same rules as PC's when it comes to pet agro?
If a player or merc is in melee range of a mob, the mob will hit the player or merc over the pet regardless of how much agro a pet has.

So if adds are eating your merc, then you either have to move so that your merc moves or off tank with RS because the heals are generating too much agro.
But again, I think that if you have your pet hit the add for a tic or two the heal agro issue will be put to bed.

Sued...
Last edited by qibrme on Mon May 23, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

If you would read what I proposed on like page 5, I said it would be a rune type proc on a PET WEAPON. I again said it in my last post, it would work the EXACT way Rune procs work for pallies and SK. Its a short-range AE hate type proc that would generate hate on other mobs on the hate list.

And that is not entirely correct, I have pulled with a malo spell. Sent my pet in when there were 2 mobs and the second mob proceeded through my pet and beat on me. It happens quite a lot in SS actually.

It really helps if people read and understand I am proposing a RUNE TYPE PROC ON A PET WEAPON THAT WOULD GENERATE AOE HATE. Not an ability or anything like AE taunt. It would work the exact way the current rune type procs work.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Piemastaj wrote:If you would read what I proposed on like page 5, I said it would be a rune type proc on a PET WEAPON. I again said it in my last post, it would work the EXACT way Rune procs work for pallies and SK. Its a short-range AE hate type proc that would generate hate on other mobs on the hate list.
And that is not entirely correct, I have pulled with a malo spell. Sent my pet in when there were 2 mobs and the second mob proceeded through my pet and beat on me. It happens quite a lot in SS actually.
It really helps if people read and understand I am proposing a RUNE TYPE PROC ON A PET WEAPON THAT WOULD GENERATE AOE HATE. Not an ability or anything like AE taunt. It would work the exact way the current rune type procs work.
Okay Pie.
I read it.
I got it.
I don't agree with it.
Can I come out of my room for supper now or will there be more spankings?

Sued...
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

AoE on a weapon is a very bad idea. It can be used to grief other pet classes. Many people have discussed ninja kitting BL's that are afk in the lobby. Imagine a BL that get's ninja'd these aoe weapons without noticing. We have enough bad blood from the player base over the years and this is a good way to cement it permanently and to get all pets permabanned on raids. Let's drop the idea of aoe's on weapons, thanks. Actually, the argument extends to our pets too. I think it's safe to say we can drop the aoe unless you make it some type of activated aa buff so it can be blocked and you can only have it if you want it (i.e. if you want it, you can pay the aa cost for it, if you don't want it then never ever buy it).
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Voragath wrote:AoE on a weapon is a very bad idea. It can be used to grief other pet classes. Many people have discussed ninja kitting BL's that are afk in the lobby. Imagine a BL that get's ninja'd these aoe weapons without noticing. We have enough bad blood from the player base over the years and this is a good way to cement it permanently and to get all pets permabanned on raids. Let's drop the idea of aoe's on weapons, thanks. Actually, the argument extends to our pets too. I think it's safe to say we can drop the aoe unless you make it some type of activated aa buff so it can be blocked and you can only have it if you want it (i.e. if you want it, you can pay the aa cost for it, if you don't want it then never ever buy it).

QFT!!!

Agree 110%

Sued...
Failcon
Conjurer

Post by Failcon »

qibrme wrote:
Voragath wrote:AoE on a weapon is a very bad idea. It can be used to grief other pet classes. Many people have discussed ninja kitting BL's that are afk in the lobby. Imagine a BL that get's ninja'd these aoe weapons without noticing. We have enough bad blood from the player base over the years and this is a good way to cement it permanently and to get all pets permabanned on raids. Let's drop the idea of aoe's on weapons, thanks. Actually, the argument extends to our pets too. I think it's safe to say we can drop the aoe unless you make it some type of activated aa buff so it can be blocked and you can only have it if you want it (i.e. if you want it, you can pay the aa cost for it, if you don't want it then never ever buy it).

QFT!!!

Agree 110%

Sued...

I wanted it in a earth pet only spell buff. More in line with his class. And not many people willing to use earth on raids anyways. Also keeps AoE out of Bst hands, tired of them getting all our goodies and us none of thiers!

May the elements guide and protect you.
finamdar

Post by finamdar »

I don't see how a rune proc on a pet weapon could be a bad thing, rune doesn't break mezzes, it would just generate hate on every mob in the vicinity of the pet. Pets are still limited by the agro constraints they always have had so if a PC whacks the mob once they'll still get agro over the pet, so how would this be a problem?

I'm not sure the people that are so opposed to the idea really understand how rune agro works, it only functions to raise the proc'ers hate on mobs they are already currently on the agro list of, it's just like casting a buff, if you stand next to a mob someone else is fighting and DS yourself, will you get agro? No, and neither will your pet if it procs a rune on itself since it's just buff agro, in fact I'm guessing the iceflame proc does the same exact thing. Do you not want to use that on raids because you're scared of the agro it generates?

Personally, I'd be in favor of rune weapons being added to our arsenal. I'd probably use it more often than the ragesword.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

finamdar wrote:I don't see how a rune proc on a pet weapon could be a bad thing, rune doesn't break mezzes, it would just generate hate on every mob in the vicinity of the pet. Pets are still limited by the agro constraints they always have had so if a PC whacks the mob once they'll still get agro over the pet, so how would this be a problem?

I'm not sure the people that are so opposed to the idea really understand how rune agro works, it only functions to raise the proc'ers hate on mobs they are already currently on the agro list of, it's just like casting a buff, if you stand next to a mob someone else is fighting and DS yourself, will you get agro? No, and neither will your pet if it procs a rune on itself since it's just buff agro, in fact I'm guessing the iceflame proc does the same exact thing. Do you not want to use that on raids because you're scared of the agro it generates?

Personally, I'd be in favor of rune weapons being added to our arsenal. I'd probably use it more often than the ragesword.
My point exactly.

I would actually rather it replace the de-aggro swords. Since technically the hateswords do help if the Earth pet is tanking. And if your pet is getting aggro on raids you can fade or your raid is wiping so it doesn't matter.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
finamdar

Post by finamdar »

I think the deagro swords weren't really meant for raids, more for pet groups with multiple pets (to keep agro on a specific one), to try to reduce agro to let the gargoyle take over in solo situations, or for kite groups, so I wouldn't say remove that, just add a rune pet. would require summoning a 12 slot bag for 6 types of weapons, but I'm guessing we're going to get those next expansion anyway.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Piemastaj wrote: My point exactly.

I would actually rather it replace the de-aggro swords. Since technically the hateswords do help if the Earth pet is tanking. And if your pet is getting aggro on raids you can fade or your raid is wiping so it doesn't matter.
I don't agree. At times, you don't want your pet to be higher up on the aggro list than a pc. Actually, in a raid this shouldn't be happening but sometimes tanks slack and pets get more hate. Not that I'd care if they went away but I just don't agree with your assessment of the deaggro swords. I think the hate proc weapons need a hate mod boost. Couldn't they make the earth pet buff itself? The air pet and fire pet already do. Maybe we should ask for the earth pet to buff itself with a buff that occasionally procs hate on it's target--think burning veil but hate instead of damage. That way, you can buff block it and click it off if you don't need it or do a /stopcast since root is rarely necessary.