Wisp Hunting – or – Greater Lightstone Pharming

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Iniaru

Post by Iniaru »

There is a quest in NKarana where if you turn in a Greater Lightstone off a wisp will net you a Concordance of research which was in its day used to help with spell research. Its value however is when you sell it back for 8 platinum. Bring bags full of GLS’s and you will leave with a few hundred plat.

On Erud’s Crossing, there are at least 5 wisp spawns and they are friendly with each other so beware, when you attack one you may get another or more.

Eruds Crossing is a square island between qeynos and erudin. I recommend you make a hoykey with 2 lines, line one has “/say Qeynos” and the other saying “/say Erud’s Crossing”. Load that onto you hotbar . anytime you need to run away you should be able to target the translocator on the docks as you approach it and can spam that key to get ported out. You can use the same key from either Qeynos or erudin to get to eruds crossing.

Starting with your level 12 water pet and DS shield and Burnout makes this process easier. If you have been allowing yourself to get hit so your def skill keeps up, and if you have at least cloth armor on or preferably raw silk (trivial 36, tailoring) you can do this tactic pretty easily.

The spawn point for most of the wisps are all around the SW corner of the island, where one of the square ‘tiki” faced stones is partially buried. They spawn and immediately head northward up the hill there. Sit at the top of the hill, watch them pop, kill it, loot it, keep the LS and GLS’s, destroy the burned out’s. Or you may need to run around the island to find them all first until you can move things to that corner and camp the spawns.

Some issues to worry about:

Fire Elemental. There is a RED fire elemental that can spawn and roams the isle – it will agro you and no matter how geared you are, it will likely kill pet and you. Once you see it around you need to watch for it constantly.

DO NOT KILL ANY BEETLE or Named Kerran. The Kerran like the beetle and are very friendly and will come from afar to help them out. Hojo and Milla roam the top of the island around the crater middle, so they are always close and at hand. But by this time the beetles are grey so no need to kill them.

There is a seller in one tent near the docks so you can easily clean out your bags as needed or replace food and water.

There are other animals on the island. Blues mostly. Kill them for extra XP and silks and the like.

You can easily level 2-3 levels here and walk away with many GLS’s.

The turn in point is in the middle of the NKarana zone at the gypsy camp, to Myrlissa. You could turn in Lightstones to her also but you get more for selling the LS on the island than you can get for selling the book you get from Myrlissa for the LS turn in.

You can turn in GLS’s at any time for this quest so it is always worth 8pp should you happen by with any other you get later on also.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Re: Wisp Hunting – or – Greater Lightstone Pharming

Post by Tweelis »

Just a quick note about something I'd change regarding this; use the fire pet instead. It's innate DS is far better than our DS. Also remember to give your pet summoned weapons so it can hit the wisps, magic is needed to actually hit them.
Iniaru

Re: Wisp Hunting – or – Greater Lightstone Pharming

Post by Iniaru »

Good points by Tweelis. You DO need to load up a magic weapon for your pet.

I personally find the Fire pet a more difficult pet to play when breaking the island spawns as well as when you sit at the spawn point because the spawns come fairly close together and the water pet has better regen ability to get pet back up to snuff. However, because I abandoned the fire pet use I really would have to defer to Tweelis on this one. We should be trying each pet in our circumstances to find which is more effective and I have not done so this time around.