New Mage

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
lantril
Trial Member

New Mage

Post by lantril »

Hello all first post here :)

I resubbed EQ a week ago and have decided to make a mage for my main.
Im going to be 50 soon, been levelling up in some of the old places I didnt go to first time around with a Tank merc in tow.

I last played seriously just after Kunark was released so Im feeling a little swamped by the content lol.

Got a couple of questions, ive had a look through the library here but most of the info seems geared to the end-game.

1. Ive been handing my pet a full set of the best armour I can summon together with 2 summoned weapons, is this ok or is there
something else I should be doing for him ?

2. Is there anything quest/item wise I should get done as a Mage thats considered essential or very desiarable.

Im currently geared in level appropriate Defiant Armour and have the jewellery etc from the guy that sells it in PoK.
I have about 60k plat to play with from the sale of a Legengds of Norrath booster pack I was lucky enough to drop.

Thanks for reading. even more thanks for replying :)

Regards - Shirell - Mage of Bristlebane.
Failcon
Conjurer

Re: New Mage

Post by Failcon »

Focus on hot zones, you can find the current ones buy talking to the guy in PoK just outside the guild Lobby. Once you get to 51 you get class pets, Air -Monk, Earth - WArrior, Water - Rogue, Fire - Wizard. For soloing air and earth are the best but pets are lacking till around 76. Make sure you are getting the best mage summoned gear posible, the armor and masks are not level restricted and the new belts have a huge HP boost at low levels. Get temprence, until 62 it will be your best friend, there are a few upgrades from 45? to 62 but not all clerics will have them. After 62 get the highest buffs, you can use them. As soon as you can get it, get the "Pet Affinity" AA, most good buffs are MGB'd at night while you sleep, keep logged in and let you and pet suck up buffs. Race to 76, it will give you the best return, AAs will come fast and you get one of your best pets.

May the elements guide and protect you.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Also get the best pet focus item you can for your level - that will help a lot.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Once you get to 81 shift over from grinding in hotzones to the new progression task system for UF/HoT expansions. Those tasks give a huge amount of experience in addition to regular experience. BTW While hailing the hotzone npcs in PoK make sure to use the mission system as they proview actual gear and experience to which will mean that you dont have to buy as much from the gear merchant
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Make sure you check out the hunting grounds portion of the boards for your level. There's one thread in there about the hole, plane of fire and splitpaw; those three zones are far better xp for the level than the current hotzones.
lantril
Trial Member

Post by lantril »

Thanks for the replies. Useful tips:)

Ill post in a week or so to let you know how Im getting on.
Eladrel

Post by Eladrel »

Hello Shirell! 8-)

I see you are on Bristlebane / Tribunal , so am I !! Feel free to add me to your friend list and I can help you out with questions about the features of the game you may not be familiar with and leveling your mage etc. And maybe one day my alts can group with you :ugeek:

Mages stick together. I don't know why, but we are a close community. Heck even some necro's have been helpful to me. So anything I can do to help you enjoy the game, I will.

Oh, and welcome back!

Eladrel 86th Mage
Tribunal
Mindrix
Conjurer

Post by Mindrix »

Pets get armor, as a summon, with pet focuses from... lvl 71 on? Yeah, I think it was TSS that did it. Having a functional pet focus (just works for the level of the spell your casting) is the most important focus you can get. The first pet focus is worth more than First Focus to Best Focus in a level range.

But, I think there is pet focuses on the Defiant vendors, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.
lantril
Trial Member

Post by lantril »

Hello again :)

Right, just approaching level 65 now, just about to finish Blackfeather Roost.

Havent been rushing along, with 11 years of content at my disposal I wanted to enjoy the ride, and I have been having great fun.

One of my best moments was finishing the JBOOTS quest, one that eluded me back in the old days and has actually been quite handy too.
I prefer it to the laggy response of the mount.

Been having fun experimenting with different methods of soloing-

Had good success with mass AOE of almost green light blues, was getting almost 10% xp a pull on the 2nd ledge of Blackfeather.
My current favourite though is using fire elemental form and tanking the mob myself with a water pet stabbing from the back :) Even dark blues go down
pretty fast this way and I can pull out the cleric merce every 5 or 6 kills this way.

I have a nice focus item too, couyldnt believe it when I cast the 61 pet and after many levels of a light blue pet a yellow one appeared !

I have started to think a little about AA's and trying to plan a route through them is mind boggling.

So far I just picked up the ones that reduce mana cost of all spells by 10%, the pet mending one and the fire elemental form, I would appreciate some input here
based on the fact that ill be moloing up to 85 probably.

Another thing I was wondering about was whether I need to work on any Dragons of Norrath content for AA's, if so can you even do it solo ? I understand its not a very popular area currently from what I have read.

Thanks for reading :) - Shirell of Bristlbane