Soling in HoT

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
kalipto

Re: Soling in HoT

Post by kalipto »

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like as far as soloing goes I wont run into too much trouble getting around HoT. Earlier today in general chat someone said mage pets couldn't tank HoT yard trash to save their life. I figured the person was either lying or just clueless. By the sounds of it, they might have been a bit of both.

So at any rate; I'll keep on trucking along with my trusty mage. I imagine for the group game I'll get along just fine. And if I do end up raiding, I'll just take it as it comes.

Oh and /wave Malleria, nice to see another Portlander hanging around the forums.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

:D I'm a pretender! I only live here :P My wife is the real Portlander!
Danille

Post by Danille »

kalipto wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like as far as soloing goes I wont run into too much trouble getting around HoT. Earlier today in general chat someone said mage pets couldn't tank HoT yard trash to save their life. I figured the person was either lying or just clueless. By the sounds of it, they might have been a bit of both.

So at any rate; I'll keep on trucking along with my trusty mage. I imagine for the group game I'll get along just fine. And if I do end up raiding, I'll just take it as it comes.

Oh and /wave Malleria, nice to see another Portlander hanging around the forums.

Mage pets alone tank like crap. It takes the proper pet focus gear and pet AA's that makes a huge difference.

A group pet focus = pet will tank like a group pet
A raid pet focus = pet will take like a raid pet

It solves the SK/Monk/Pally complaints that a mage pet out of the box is too powerful crap.
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Post by Gnomeland »

Didn't they significantly decrease the scaling of pet foci past EM 8 though? I thought that was the general consensus, though with the rarity of pet foci past EM 8 it might've been quite hard to test.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

They did, but it still is a boost over the EM8 level. The DPS difference is noticeable on our raids between the one mage who has gotten EM11 and the other three who are still with EM8.
kalipto

Post by kalipto »

Well I can get EM8 pretty easily these days. So assuming that's what I have by 90, and assuming I max out all the pet defensive aa's (which I'm getting there on!) I'll be able to solo HoT trash without a merc?

I don't recall if I mentioned this but I'll have t4 gear shortly after dinging 90. I'm sure that will help my sort of current and sad dps situation. Soloing I can get 2500-3k but I run out of mana ever 4-5 mobs. Course my gear sucks right now. I'm only at 28k mana.
Danille

Post by Danille »

you should max out at just under 50K mana with a full set of t4 group gear. Make sure you get the shoulders from Bishop the Scorned in Morell’s Castle on the ship for 17% det mana pres

Scorned Epaulets of Diminutive Prestige Armor ID: 121544
MAGIC LORE NO TRADE
Slot: Shoulders
AC: 85 HP: 1444 + 3/tick MANA: 1489 + 3/tick END: 1452
STA: 29 + 9 STR: 34 + 6 WIS: 28 INT: 34 + 9 DEX: 18 + 6 AGI: 30 + 7 CHA: 32 + 8
SV FIRE: 43 SV COLD: 56 SV MAGIC: 30 SV POISON: 39 SV DISEASE: 40
Shielding: 1%
Spell Shielding: 2%
DoT Shielding: 3%
Stun Resist: 2%
Avoidance: 5
Heal Amount: 17
Spell Dmg: 15
Clairvoyance: 32
Focus Effect: Detrimental Mana Pres 17 L90
1: Decrease Spell Mana Cost by 1% to 17%
Click Effect: Myrmidon's Skill IV Casting Time: 0.5
2: Increase Chance to Dodge by 6%
Slot 1, type 7: empty
Slot 2, type 3: empty
Required level of 90.
Class: NEC, WIZ, MAG, ENC
Tools: CompareAdded...
Mob: Bishop the Scorned in Morell’s Castle
Gnomeland
Elementalist

Post by Gnomeland »

Depends on what you mean by HoT trash. Mages do not have the healing ability to keep pets up against T2+ mobs, so you will have to rely on tricks like extensive RS tanking.
Danille

Post by Danille »

you will find that as a mage, soloing is not the best option for leveling and gaining experience. You dont have to group though as moloing offers a great alternative.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Danille wrote:you will find that as a mage, soloing is not the best option for leveling and gaining experience. You dont have to group though as moloing offers a great alternative.
In HoT this may be true but in other places (like Beza and Zeka) soloing is still very viable; sometimes even better than grouping.