Old items still worth getting

Magician related/specific quests.
Jaytee
Conjurer

Re: Old items still worth getting

Post by Jaytee »

Earthen Boots might be a good one for this:

The Earthen Boots are a relatively low level item, with a right-click instant invis versus animal. However, these boots enables you to instantly break the level 65 charm without needing to switch spells.

To get them, simply retrieve the following items:

- Stone Marker, drops in Mistmoore castle off Dark Elves named "a glyphed guard".
- Heart of Stone, off "a stone skeleton" - skeleton mages (with pets and spells) in a stone tower on South side of Lake Rathe.
- Soiled Boots, off "a froglok tonta knight" in Upper Guk. The location of this spawn is on the EQAtlas map for Upper Guk.
- A cats eye agate, vendored.

Bring these to Joyce in the temple of Soulsek Ro to recieve your boots.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Wait, people actually use that charm? :lol:
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Merlaina wrote:Wait, people actually use that charm? :lol:
Not everybody is 85. I have an alt that I play once in awhile that's 7 years old now and is only level 68.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Well not to beat a dead horse (I do remember a long thread about this spell on the old board) this spell never struck me as terribly useful. Without any good form of crowd control except our pet, this was a dangerous spell to use since when charm broke you'd be looking at one pissed off elemental and no good way to stop it. AAs since this spells introduction may well have changed that (CoN in particular, though I don't remember when that becomes available), but even still it just seems much safer to stick with fluffy. Especially since the pet upgrade (though again, not sure how much of a boost pets at that level get).

The only place I really remember this being useful was BoT, charming on of those elementals and then sticking it on a named, hitting it with BO and FBO, and then praying to Prexus charm didn't break. It was definitely a fun spell, and I'm glad we got it just to mix things up a bit, but at least for me it was a deathtrap. Even with elemental mez unless both things you were fighting were elementals you'd still have one angry mob beating on you and no pet.
Falino-Luclin
Elementalist

Post by Falino-Luclin »

I used it in BoT, and in North Ro LDONs. Was definitely a fun spell in conjunction with our summoned mob mez back in the day.
Dadani
Conjurer

Post by Dadani »

Falino-Luclin wrote:I used it in BoT, and in North Ro LDONs. Was definitely a fun spell in conjunction with our summoned mob mez back in the day.
I liked using the charm in BoT more, sometimes the mobs in the LDoN would path horribly.
Image Image
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

It helped me that my wife played a druid. Easiest way to use cotam was for me to debuff with malo and she'd put her longest lasting snare on the mob then I'd charm the mob. Hit the mob with burnout, weapons and a DS then let it do all the work for you. We'd also time it so just before snare ran out I'd break charm so she could resnare it then I'd mezz/charm it again. Yea you had to be on the ball with mezz but it was a fast enough cast spell that as long as you were paying attention you never had to worry about a snared mob that was pissed at you.
Jaytee
Conjurer

Post by Jaytee »

I just ran by BoT to assist someone this weekend...on the way up I charmed one of the Jord Kal's gave it burnout 8 and pet weapons...wow just wow.
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

It's been a long time since I used our charm and mezz. I think the last time I used either of the 2 was during the Najena part of our epic 1.5 :)
Ziggy
Trial Member

Post by Ziggy »

There’s a merchant in Brells Rest who sells many augmentations for weapons along the “Sympathetic VI” line.

Direct damage, hate reduction, taps, mana reclamation, dots, stuns, and more are all available there for your slot 4/8 needs depending on the fight. Buy them all for free via the loyalty merchant in PoK who will sell you the currency (group or raid) needed to buy these.

Tempest Magic is also one of my favorite cast proc augmentations worth getting (solo). Hunt A Thundering Tempest in PoShadow for the common drop.