Tower 2: Trophies. Need some advice

Magician related/specific quests.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Tower 2: Trophies. Need some advice

Post by Merlaina »

So my guild has been attempting and failing on the Trophies event in the tower for about a month now and it's starting to get frustrating, so I thought I'd post here to see if any advice can be offered. Our general strat:

1 - Melees come in and snag their appropriate weapons right away.
2 - First wave is no problem. Split the adds among multiple tanks (they're on the north side of the platform, opposite the doors where you enter) and have casters assist the MA while groups beat down on their damage-type mobs.
3 - Pull the first trophy to the door (facing the door) and melee and casters beat on him until next add wave spawns.
4 - When next add wave spawns we offtank the trophy and burn down the adds except for one, and then work to finish off the trophy.

Repeat steps 3 and 4.

Our main problem seems to be splitting up the add waves to their respective tanks once they come. It seems like as soon as they spawn they just absolutely clobber a couple of tanks, then we have one or two of those mobs roaming around killing the squishier types. I think it's largely an issue of positioning, but I'm open to other advice on this event as well. We currently place nukers on top of the pedestal where the lightning trophy is, and that seems to keep us out of harms way fairly well.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: Tower 2: Trophies. Need some advice

Post by Piemastaj »

We normally tank the trophy where it gets really big directly in the center. Have the melee get on all sides of it, and casters stick towards the door we entered the event at. That way the adds have to run through our kill crew and generally get picked up by non-squishy types. But it seems like your problem is either your healers are not paying attention, or you have 1 or 2 really good pickup tanks and the rest are slacking which is getting the 2 good tanks killed and the rest of your raid. If your not losing warrs while tanking each trophy then you should have no problem having your warr/pal/SK stop attacking and get ready for the add wave when the main namer is at like 25% or so depending on your guilds DPS.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

I agree with Pie, it sounds like not all of your add-tanks are on the ball. I've always done it with the tropheys being tanked where they go live (in the center) by a warrior, casters by the door we enter through. Once the adds spawn the add-tanks (every knight and any warrior not needed to tank the big guy) split up and grab something. Melee break off and kill the adds, casters continue killing the trophey. The biggest problem we ran into at first was SKs thinking it would be a good idea to use their AE hate spells. And as you said, they get clobbered, cause the other tanks have no chance of grabbing agro. Just try to have your add-tanks in a line waiting for the rush and grab whatever is infront of them. DPS can help there too, the adds aren't *that* hard hitting, a ranger or monk can hold one for a short time until a tank repositions.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Same as above. We just tank the trophy in center. We don't really have designated tanks on adds so I think it's group makeup but everyone who can tank just grabs a mob and dps just assists. Our casters stand to the right from the entrance and I stand on that statue to avoid los issues (i'm kinda lazy like that). As long as no one is between the trophy and the add spawns that can't handle the adds, you should be fine. Also, no sitting--sitters will cause the mobs to warp over--and we try to keep healers close(ish) to the tanks. Make sure the mastruq's are getting mezzed so they depop on their own to make less adds.