pets

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Zacatac
Conjurer

Re: pets

Post by Zacatac »

Voragath wrote:
Merlaina wrote: There IS another explanation: the focus is indeed working but no pet templates were made for those pets with those focii.
That is quite possible. Remember every single pet focus has to be individually crafted and programmed. While the Lucy data might say the EM8 goes down to 76 level, the programmers who designed SoD might not have bothered making those pet templates. Who would think a 76-80 player would have Tower raid focus?
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

I am not in the beta, so I have not signed an NDA with SOE, but feel free to remove this if you feel it is inappropriate.

I have it on good authority that while pet levels will increase for our next set of pet spells, their base power will not increase at all. Our 81 Air pet will have the same HP, AC, Str, Atk, and max hit as our 86 Air pet, etc.

Meanwhile, Beastlord pets are getting a huge boost.

Beta Mages, get to it!
Tacoma2586
Elementalist

Post by Tacoma2586 »

i think the pets will get a small if any upgrade in hps,ac,etc but dmg output thru the pets will go up.
sharrien
Elementalist

Post by sharrien »

Nelith wrote:I am not in the beta, so I have not signed an NDA with SOE, but feel free to remove this if you feel it is inappropriate.

I have it on good authority that while pet levels will increase for our next set of pet spells, their base power will not increase at all. Our 81 Air pet will have the same HP, AC, Str, Atk, and max hit as our 86 Air pet, etc.

Beta Mages, get to it!
I do not think it is right that mage pets would not see any increase at all. If the quoted statement has any basis in fact, I would suspect that they are testing mage pets without any increases and are looking for fact-based opinions on why and how they should get improvements over the 81-85 pets. If I were in beta (I'm not) I would avoid asking for increases based on what another class, like beastlords, may or may not be able to do. Base your argument instead on what mages are able to do and where we have shortfalls.
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

It's wrong. A dev stated in the live forums that every expansion pets see the same % upgrade in stats as always. It appears then, that we already ARE dependent on focus effects since we have seen huge improvements in our pets despite this standard in pet power increase. He didn't say if this was a relative power increase or a hard standard but I suspect it's a relative increase or our pets would be totally worthless by now.
Nelith
Arch Magus

Post by Nelith »

The dev team has a new lead and he is "concerned with mage pet abilities to tank UF content". I have this from a VERY reliable source.

You can say what you like, but as of now, I would not count on our pets scaling up much. Essentially, by means of *not* getting the usual % boost, they will be nerfing our pets.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Nelith wrote:The dev team has a new lead and he is "concerned with mage pet abilities to tank UF content". I have this from a VERY reliable source.

You can say what you like, but as of now, I would not count on our pets scaling up much. Essentially, by means of *not* getting the usual % boost, they will be nerfing our pets.
You mean, Aristo, right? Because he claimed to be in charge:
Aristo wrote: Wow. A lot of anger was wasted here on the assumption that there is some limited number of spell slots and that all summoning spells are somehow taking the place of more DPS.

There isn't a limited number of spell slots. Summons are quick and easy to make and require almost 0 tuning. There aren't DPS spells that have been pushed off the table to put these summon spells in. On the other hand, I am scheduled to be working on pets right now, but instead I'm posting here to try to correct some bad assumptions.

Getting preemptively angry over what you assume doesn't help anything. It just wastes everyone's time. Please stop. Thanks.
Still looking for who made the comment about pets getting same base changes. But I don't see how Aristo is new or is making a change. And "good authority" is meaningless. You are trolling, pure and simple.

Edit: I gave up my search on who made the upgrade changes because it's late and I'm very tired. It wasn't Aristo. It coulda been Rytan or Merloc or some other past dev that's moved on. I really think it was a Rytan comment but the stupid dev searcher won't pull up his name.
Last edited by Voragath on Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Nelith wrote:I am not in the beta, so I have not signed an NDA with SOE, but feel free to remove this if you feel it is inappropriate.

Beta Mages, get to it!
And again you are wrong and your "very reliable" source seems to be confused with the SK pets getting a boost. You can find this in the Veterans' Lounge on the live forums.

Actually, all of what you say can be any drunken fool from FF that knows what's on that FF sticky on the Veterans' Lounge. It did mention some things would be phased out which could be miscontrued by someone not paying attention, being drunk, or getting something other than firsthand knowledge, as meaning no pet increase.

Let's stop and be intelligent people and think for a second. If they wanted to stagnate pets to zero upgrade, why bother with a new spell? Each pet spell summons a template just like the focus effects. Making a pet with zero upgrade would be the same as making a nuke that's the same. Seriously, stop with the false accounts and trolling. Trolling belongs on the eqlive forums, not these boards.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Think he's talking about Ngreth being promoted to lead designer. But yea, Aristo is in charge of pets.
Tacoma2586
Elementalist

Post by Tacoma2586 »

lol wow vor but they wont be doin big boost to pets but since theirs new lvls they have to stil make the new lvl pet spells. but in end will see when HoT goes live.