Mana Regen AA's

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Mendoros07
Magician

Mana Regen AA's

Post by Mendoros07 »

Hey all,
A while back I took my baby mage out of hibernation. He was level 30. He is now 83 with just under 1000 aa. He is not my main but just an alt for fun. Since I have been playing my main for ever he always got his aa's as they came out and maxed them out. With starting to play a new alt and leveling and getting aa's on this mage, I have focused on and almost completed all his class offensive, pet defensive and defensive aa (limited to level 83). I have also thrown in all utility aa's I have gotten used to or like. My question is directly related to the Mana regen line.

My biggest improvement mana wise was finishing the gift of mana line of AA on this char for mana preservation. I am now looking at a massive number of aa's for the mana regen line. It's funny but when you've been playing one char for 6 years you never noticed just how expensive the mana regen line of AA's are till you are faced with starting from scratch. Since I don't raid with this char... and we have the OOC timers... just how effective or helpful is it to drop that number of AA's on this line? Is it worth it now?

Thanks!
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Re: Mana Regen AA's

Post by Merlaina »

I think it depends on your play style. If you typically grind through a bunch of blue/light blue stuff until you're oom and then med up to full, yes, I would say they are worth it since it'll probably add a decent bit of time before you have to stop and med. If you like to take on white and yellow mobs, burn through your mana bar in two fights, and then med back to full, no, I'd say you'd probably get more mileage from other AAs.
Redius
Conjurer

Post by Redius »

Personally I believe that the mana regen lines are a complete waste of time for the modern magician. Honestly, even if you're a average group magician in terms of mana, you've got a pool of 15,000 plus (nevermind that top geared group mages are over 25k, and raiders are over 40k). Even maxxed out, what's an extra 25 or even 50 mana every tic going to do for you? Those aa's were useful when players had mana pools under 5k, but in the modern game, I just don't think you get bang for the buck.
Falino-Luclin
Elementalist

Post by Falino-Luclin »

Redius wrote:Personally I believe that the mana regen lines are a complete waste of time for the modern magician. Honestly, even if you're a average group magician in terms of mana, you've got a pool of 15,000 plus (nevermind that top geared group mages are over 25k, and raiders are over 40k). Even maxxed out, what's an extra 25 or even 50 mana every tic going to do for you? Those aa's were useful when players had mana pools under 5k, but in the modern game, I just don't think you get bang for the buck.
My thoughts exactly. Huge mana pools and the ever increasing costs of spells makes mana regen AAs some of the least useful AAs (not counting the ones that don't help us at all). Maxing out Expansive Mind and Mental Clarity is still only an extra 38 mana per tick (so 380 mana per minute). That really only comes out to an extra nuke every 2-3 minutes, and costs a ton of AAs to max all of those out.

If I was advising someone on stuff to buy, I would say mana regen AAs should be very, very far down on the list of what to buy. They're usually some of the last AAs I get every time they add more, discounting the completely useless stuff.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I have to agree with the above posters to a certain extent. Yes gear has been inflated a lot since those AAs were implemented which will not allow you to see HUGE gains (Probably not notice them at all unless u parse really). However, as of right now we only have 3 tools to increase our mana; mod rods, symbiosis, and empyrean guardian lines. I am mostly a raid mage, and I never use symbiosis on raids. I sometimes forget about mod rods, and empyrean guardian doesn't stack with the druid HP buff. When I solo/duo I only use the guardian line when I am pulling which is 99% of the time, it really isn't that useful but it helps some what.

With that said, mana regen AAs are not a top-priority for myself. However, they are up there on my list being a mainly raid mage. They aren't much like I said, but every little bit helps until we get some form of harvest spell/AA for us to use. Especially if your guild is a low DPS guild, or you are low on mana. Every little bit helps plain and simple, and I can think of tons of AA lines that would do you less good then mana regen.

Mendoros07, I would max every pet offensive/defensive/activated AA along with all your defensive/offensive/activated AAs before you should consider mana regen.

Just my 2cp :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Danille

Post by Danille »

Perhaps we will get a new mana regen tool in Underfoot.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

If we don't I will cry :cry:

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Redius
Conjurer

Post by Redius »

Piemastaj wrote:If we don't I will cry :cry:

My guess? Get your kleenex ready; devs aren't real keen about giving mages anything close to what we need for mana regen. It's pure speculation, but i'm willing to bet that we get shafted on regen again.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Yeah. This next expansion we will see a decrease in our overall power yet again I think. We could REALLY use mana regen now that as of right now we get absolutely no new pets aside from maybe another garg pet. So, basically we are getting a nerf by just buying this expansion seeing as the mobs will all be hitting harder with more difficult things to handle. So, when the devs could actually implement a mana regen ability so as to keep us as stable as we were in SoD I forsee them doing nothing to help us in that department sadly. :cry:

Again, all speculation but with them nerfing classes b/c they refuse to fix events it doesn't really bode well for us getting an ability to make our class stronger.

Another 2cp :D

Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

At least upgrade the Water Form up from its current 1,2,4 status. Add in an 8, 16, 32.

Bara