macros for a box mage with a necro main.

Not quite at the level cap.
nantalbus
Trial Member

macros for a box mage with a necro main.

Post by nantalbus »

hiya all. Looking for info in making macros for a box mage.

1st. A little info on how I box and what I got.
I main a 105 cotf t1/t2 raid geared max aa necro. I have a level 95 with all auto granted only aa's mage I am boxing with it. The necro is on my desktop with the mage on a laptop beside my monitor so I can see both at once. I am using the air pet on the mage. I also can change between having 2 cleric mercs or 1 cleric merc and a wizard merc depending on what I am fighting.

atm I have the following macros setup for the mage.

2 assist keys. Both cast malo, send in pet and then do RS pet. 1 is set to assist me the other to assist my necro pet.
reason I have 2 is one is for when I don't have any adds I need the mage pet to off tank. and the other is for when I do need to off tank with mage pet.

1 nuke key that based on a main mage in guild cast the top bolt spells 2 time each then send in RS pet(I have rs pet as last spell so I can see that I need to rehit the macro to have mage start casting dd again.

1 macro linking all of the aa swarm pets and a clicky pet I have for it.

1 pet heal key that cast the ruin spell/delayed heal/2 cast of the normal pet heal

What I am looking for is there any macro keys I am missing to max out what I can do with the mage. Such as what aa should I link on a key for burns. or is there any other normal use key I am missing.

Also once I am maxed out pet aa's with the mage have the best group em and the necro having what ever best raid em I can get at the time. Which pet would be better to have as the main tanking pet?

thanks for any info.
dorfillya
Conjurer

Re: macros for a box mage with a necro main.

Post by dorfillya »

regarding tanking: I would guess your 105 necro pet would be much better tank than the 95 mage pet.

If you are playing on 2 different computers (as I do), I think it would help you not to be using too many macros, but, rather using multi-key bindings, which are described at length else where on this site. Multi key bindings allow you to tie 4 to 6 spell gems to one key. Pressing that key will cast the highest spell gem that is currently refreshed. If you pick 4-6 spells in order of your preference for casting, it means you most preferable spells are cast most often, without staring at the screen waiting for gems to refresh. Once you have the mage and the pet on the right target, you can blindly reach over and spam click that one key to cast nukes/servant pet, or whatever you want.

Since the mage is lower level, if you need the mage pet to off tank, casting as many servant pets as possible on the offtanked mob will help the air pet quite a bit.
Sancus
Conjurer

Post by Sancus »

nantalbus wrote:1 nuke key that based on a main mage in guild cast the top bolt spells 2 time each then send in RS pet(I have rs pet as last spell so I can see that I need to rehit the macro to have mage start casting dd again.
Curious what you mean by this. Are you emulating what a Mage in your guild does, or did he give you a suggestion on level 95 spells? Personally I'd work in a Spear at least (I'm not well enough versed in level 95 spells to give a more specific suggestion). It's possible to have mana issues depending on gear, but it's unlikely that you'll be casting fast enough boxing with macros, depending on your proficiency. As far as increasing proficiency, I agree with dorfillya on the multibinding aspect.
nantalbus wrote: What I am looking for is there any macro keys I am missing to max out what I can do with the mage. Such as what aa should I link on a key for burns. or is there any other normal use key I am missing.
I'd go for a burn Macro, likely something like First Spire+Fire Core+Empowered Focus+Silent Casting+Improved Twincast (normally I'd leave ITC out, but if you're boxing it might be easier to include it). Beyond that, my suggestion would be to have abilities assigned to keys, e.g. Pet heal being the 3 key (example key), Twincast being the 5 key, etc. Macros don't really have a lot of wiggle room, and as you get more proficient they can sometimes hold you back. Some things, like heals/runes, likely work best when not lumped together (the usefulness of each is very dependent on the scenario). Clicking can work too, but personally I find using keys is more efficient.
nantalbus wrote: Also once I am maxed out pet aa's with the mage have the best group em and the necro having what ever best raid em I can get at the time. Which pet would be better to have as the main tanking pet?
With your Mage at 95, definitely your Necro pet. If/when you level your Mage up, the 99 Earth pet is likely better than the Necro tank pet fully AAed. Unfortunately, foci have relatively little effect, so the difference between group and raid isn't a huge consideration.
nantalbus
Trial Member

Post by nantalbus »

for the nuke key the mage in my guild suggested i chain cast the 2 top bolt spells. something bout while its not the most powerful in rare damage spell its a little bit faster cast time and recast time. right now on mage the top 3 spells slots are my top 2 bolt spells and the 95 rs pet. so it looks like this.

line 1 /pause #, /cast 1
line 2 /pause #, /cast 2
line 3 /pause #, /cast 1
line 4 /pause #, /cast 2
line 5 /cast 3

I know that once I see the rs pet run out to the mob that the macro is done and reach over and hit it.

I won't be tanking much with the mage till at lest level 100 with it.

the heal key was just something i was playing round with to see what works.
nantalbus
Trial Member

Post by nantalbus »

its easier for me to use macro atm. with macros I can just hit a button and know its going cast x number of spells which lets me put most of my focus on the necro. In time when I get more used to boxing and the mage gets up there in power/etc. I am going try the key binding. But with only part use of one hand it hard form me to do one thing on my necro and another on the mage at the same time.

For the spells. the mage in guild suggested the bolt spells because of their shorter cast/recast timer. so the nuke key is set to so it goes 91 bolt 86 bolt 91 bolt 86 bolt rs pet. When I see the rs pet go running on ether screen I reach over and hit the nuke key again. If there are other spells I could be using for more dps let me know.

The pet heal one is just messing round to see what works. As the plan is if I have to use mage pet to tank one. I will mostly work on taking out the one the mage pet is on 1st and then go to the one my pet is on. Although I rather not have to pet tank yet till i get the rof/tds pets. I was thinking of maybe just setting the pet heal key to chain cast the pet heal a few times and save the run/delayed heal for when i needed.

Thanks for the info so far and thanks in advance for any other info.
nantalbus
Trial Member

Post by nantalbus »

oops sorry for the double post ment to only do one but ass i was change and adding info some how i summited the 1st draft instead of the second one lol.
Danille

Post by Danille »

That's cause as a new member, your first five posts need to be approved. (we got hit pretty bad a while ago with spam bots) Now you should be gtg, not requiring approvals. :)
Thanks for posting!
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

While using your 4 bolt/rs pet macro key works for some dps from the mage, you are only getting maybe half of the dps that mage could be doing. If your necro is 105, I would assume you are hunting in CotF or TDS zones, and you are using lvl 86 spells against mobs that are probably over lvl 100. Your mage DPS could be much better with better spell selection and multi key binding. Multi key binding DOES still leave lots of time available to control the necro when needed, although I would think you could multi key bind the necro also and maybe even up his DPS some.