Level 78 Mage: Am I doing something wrong?

Not quite at the level cap.
sgdirtbag

Level 78 Mage: Am I doing something wrong?

Post by sgdirtbag »

So, I am 78 with about 625 AAs and most of my Pet AAs are maxxed except the healing ones. I don't seem to be leveling as fast as everyone is telling me that I should be and I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. I am wondering if I am, and I am just

I cannot remember the exact spell names, but I can tell you that I should have the highest level possible for all of them, but here is what my spell load out looks like.
Pet Heal, Short Duration Damage Shield, Malo, Summon DD, Fickle Spell, highest level fire DD ( I think that is is really)

I did have Bolt of the Many up, but since I can only really have two pets on the target it did not seem like it was worth it. I do sometimes still memorize it and only use it with the AA that summons a swarm of pets.

I am using my level 76 Air Pet, and usually try to get fully buffed before i go there. I do not use my merc, and can fight for about 10 minutes without having to med. Also, I never seem to burn through enough mana fast enough to use a mod rod.

Right now I am farming elementals in Katta. I was doing it for real exp but, it seemed far to slow, so I figured I would try to hit 1k AA and then level to 81. So, it can kill one to two elementals easily, even three if I know I am going to take them. But I am not sure that I can farm even 20 AA per lesson. I have not tested it yet, but every is talking to me like I should be easily getting 30.

So, my questions are:
1) First am I expecting too much? Is 20-30 AA a lesson to high to expect?
2) Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need like a few hundred more AAs and then I can roll through things?

My plan is to get to 81 and farm to around 1.5-2k AAs. This would allow me to still farm Katta, PoFire, Paw, and some others solo, and if Ican find a group in the HoT yard, I can get the quests there, and start working on my grouping skills. I know this wouldn't give me the real experience of a group but it would give me a starting point.

I do not mean to come off as rude, more naive. Just don't want to be some douche at max level that looks like I bought the toon.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
tatanka7th

Re: Level 78 Mage: Am I doing something wrong?

Post by tatanka7th »

At 78, I was getting ~16 AA/Lesson at that camp. Your XP rate sounds fine. Two comments on what other "say" you should be able to do... 1) People like to exaggerate, 2) if they fought there when it was current, and had raid level gear from the previous expac, then they would likely be doing better than you are now. No shame in that. 20 AA/Lesson is awesome, don't knock it.

Just a couple quick notes: The short duration DS is a stinker, I never use it. Four hits makes it waste of mana, compared to our other spells. Also, you should definitely be using Burning Brimbody and Iceflame Tenement on the pet (assuming you have them, can't remember what level they appear). And max Theft of Essence if you're fighting summoned.

For nukes, keep a rotation of 2-3 so that you never have to wait for a refresh. For summoned mobs, the anti-summoned spells do not share a cooldown, so you should have the two most recent ones memmed.

Tat
dorfillya
Conjurer

Post by dorfillya »

Some of the people that say you should be getting X amount of AAs at some level have twinked and powerleveled their own characters to be able to get those huge AA per lesson burn numbers.

If you already have thousands of AAs, gear beyond your level, and fully raid buffed, then it is much easier to get those huge amounts of AA during a lesson.
sgdirtbag

Post by sgdirtbag »

Thank you. I just got to 81, had a friend that was bored and he pl'd me the other three levels. Bought about 1/2-3/4 of the spells I need, as I am running out of money. Don't think I have burning brim brody yet, but I definitely have Theft of Essence. Now that I am 81 I will go back to Katta for now and continue with my new even con :) Air Pet.

I actually bound myself at the quest giver for the elementals "round up" Task. Will probably pick another one up as well and turn them in if I clear the camps. Now I just gotta find a spot to grind at 81, if Katta gets boring.

Thanks again.
tatanka7th

Post by tatanka7th »

pro tip if you need plat:

The Franklin Teek hot zone tasks can be done more than one at a time, IF you get them all first. In other words, get the level 80, 75, 70, 65, 60 tasks, and then go do them. They pay anywhere from 128 (Steppes)-1025 (Ashengate) plat each.

Level 80 likely won't be soloable, being in Ashengate, but 75 in Direwind is easy when it's the griffons (in fact, griffons at 80 aren't bad for XP. Not as easy as Katta, but they're higher level, so more XP, and it's a hot zone). Level 60 Sunderock is always easy, and so is level 65 Steppes. Level 70 Vergalid is easy 2 out of 3 times (kickpicks and Skullcrush, right at the entrance).

Do 2-4 Teek dailies, and the plat will really start rolling in. Not to mention that the extra quest rewards can be sold in Bazaar for a few hundred plat each.

If you have a Druid porter on another account, it really fast, since Direwind and Steppes are ports.

Tat