The Hole, splitpaw and plane of fire.

Not quite at the level cap.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Re: The Hole, splitpaw and plane of fire.

Post by Tweelis »

I've heard the same thing many times Merlaina. I'm currently down in the hole on my alt when I get a chance to play. Being level 68 with 500ish AA's it's pretty easy to get 10aa's per lesson burn. Many people have told me that at 71 the aaxp is still really good, 72 it slows down and at 73 it's pretty bad.

You might try there with no merc but then again you can probably get better aaxp elsewhere.
Jaytee
Conjurer

Post by Jaytee »

If you happen to be like me and not like Plane of Fire - try Plane of Water. The worst thing about the zone is the zone in...it sometimes takes forever to click on! Anyway it is usually empty - same XP as fire. I solo there a good bit from time to time but there are better places.

I just happen to feel really comfortable in the zone as I've been there so often I know where everything is.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

I keep hearing that JT but for some reason I never get in there. I do know that plane of air mobs hit a lot harder than fire mobs and give less xp so my default PoP xp zone has been PoFire. Maybe PoWater will be made into a hotzone one of these days and it'll get used more.
Niblix

Post by Niblix »

context is important here...
FV server. i mention this because of the spiffy gear we can get. for those who don't know, "no-trade" virtually doesn't exist. lvl 71, fully buffed, thanks to the nice peeps in the Guild Lobby, 30 minute solo push in PAW with Vet Lesson burning w/o merc.

my experience...

First things to do! Get your Theft of Essence and Gift of Mana Line

technique
- sick your pet on your target
- cast my bane nuke non-stop
- watch for your Gift of Mana line to proc. when it does cast Raging Servant on your target if it's health is greater than 50% else cast it on your next target

the Results
- i average 9 AA's a pop. my record is 15AA's. think mostly because of a crazy string or Gift of Mana procs one night.
- get between 26% to 40% an AA per kill
- i can clear from the top of the zone line all the way down to the waterfalls, sometimes further.
- i'm up to 471 AA's now and still going.

Thoughts...
i've asked several seasoned Magicians if i should continue or start to season. in every case, noting that i'm solo most of the time, they say the same thing... "would you rather be 85 and take two weeks to mash out all them AA's or be 71 and mash out the same AAs in only two days?" WOW! that's easy. i'm sticking to 71 until i get everything i can, guessing around 600AAs or so?

A note on Katta...
i have been advised, much like many of the threads here, to go to Katta at 76th. i'm not certain what's up there but i visited today and soloed several of the elementals there. they were all red or yellow yet easier than the dark blue and light blue in PAW, strange. the xp was ok, around 12% an AA per kill tops. a friend of mine was 76th, fewer AAs than i, and was only getting 7% an AA per kill. maybe that's good for that season? i'm thinking by the time i get there i should be able to clear the Minos and Nymphs in DSH and get a boat load more AAs.

well, that's my experience. i hope this post will benefit someone someway :)
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

I'm 76 and frequent both Paw and Katta, and I have to say they are about the same for me in XP, but the loot in Katta is much better. I'm pulling almost exactly 10% AA per kill without lesson, and no shortage of mobs to pull. Paw I find to be more dangerous just because of the roamers (I haven't put in the requisite time yet to know where the safest spots are), and the added risk doesn't seem to balance out the reward for me.

For Katta, there is a specific camp you want to do. There are a lot of "elementals" roaming around (or at least valid targets for the 73 spell AtU), but the camp you want is in the outer section of town in the south-southeast section. It's a small sort of temple looking area, with 4 mobs bunched around the altar on the top, the 4 on the next tier down, then another 8 or so below those. At 76 they are dark blue "weak" cons, and look like new elemental models. They have a pretty smurf fast respawn (I think I saw someone say 6 minutes, which seems right), and they drop elemental essences (~46pp), burned out essences (~1.5pp), a couple different types of idols (~200-300pp), gems, level 70-75 research scolls, ornate binding powder (good for spell research leveling, or sell in bazaar for about 100pp each), and various other tradeskill crap not really worth keeping. In 3 hours here I usually pull in around 5-6K in loot not counting scrolls and powder, plus the same amount of xp I get in paw, plus it's much safer and less running around. Also there is a named elemental that spawns (mudpuppy) who is red to me at 76, doesn't con weak, but is still a pushover and can drop a decent HP aug (and 20% AA! Wooo!). At 76 I'm also pulling about 9 AA a lesson here and loving it.

I'm not trying to twist your arm into coming here, I'm just saying that if you want to compare Katta to Paw, you should be doing it at the right camp so you can get a good idea of what the best xp in Katta is like. But if Paw is working for you and you like it, by all means, don't let me stop your flow of happy xp. :)

Edit: A note on mudpuppy: be sure you check the names of the earth elementals when you're about to pull several. It can be a rude awakening to accidentally have mudpuppy in the mix if all of your AAs are down, you're lom, and you don't notice he's in there. Happened to me today at lunch and I had to gate, but lesson had just finished anyway so no real harm done.
thed

Post by thed »

I found the spot that you were talking about Merlaina. As a mage that has been gone from the game for over 4 years, this place seems like heaven. I never knew mobs could be so easy, and efficient. I am level 76 and I only have about 450 aa's without ToE or the AtU spell, and this place is cake, I guess verant finally gave a mage a break.

*edit*
I just got AtU and maxed out ToE, amazing... thanks merlaina for the advice.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

Jewel of Attiki is good in as well - you can do all the efretti and bugs, the only problem you will have if you decide to go inside the pyramids and set off a trap (so don't go in unless you have to) or decide to do the gorillas up on the plateau (so don't go there unless you have to). None of the mobs summon, and for the most part are spaced out so they won't assist their neighbors if you pull correctly. You also can pop the odd named one... Just make sure to pull with dispel, especially if the chanter types have been up a while. And while you are at it, you can do the quest arc that ends with the sceptre illusion...you collect some stuff, solve some puzzles... http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/ques ... quest=4142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the link to the last quest in the arc of 6.
Wam
Elementalist

Post by Wam »

svenalo wrote:Jewel of Attiki is good in as well - you can do all the efretti and bugs, the only problem you will have if you decide to go inside the pyramids and set off a trap (so don't go in unless you have to) or decide to do the gorillas up on the plateau (so don't go there unless you have to). None of the mobs summon, and for the most part are spaced out so they won't assist their neighbors if you pull correctly. You also can pop the odd named one... Just make sure to pull with dispel, especially if the chanter types have been up a while. And while you are at it, you can do the quest arc that ends with the sceptre illusion...you collect some stuff, solve some puzzles... http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/ques ... quest=4142" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the link to the last quest in the arc of 6.
This is some thing to relay test!
That quest are locking fun...

Gnomersy
Trial Member

Post by Gnomersy »

Just took the advice on here and dropped into Paw yesterday and I've gotta say it was easy and good xp at 70 and it's even easier at 71 roughly half of the mobs are db to me and I'm getting about 40-50% of an AA per kill (At 450 AAs) It's definitely a good choice specially compared to the pain I suffered in the Steppes.