Sorry for the outage

EverQuest related news and other things relevant to all members.
Jedis
Administrator

Sorry for the outage

Post by Jedis »

Things have been sorted out and we're back online!
Aither
Elementalist

Re: Sorry for the outage

Post by Aither »

Wuwu, when I found out it was down I had this horrible feeling in my gut. All in rememberance of when we lost the former tower.
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Sorry for the scare. The billing was set to auto-renew and the card on the account was expired. I'm not the billing contact on file, so I didn't get the notification emails.

I am doing regular off-site backups as well, so if the site does go down, there are backups available to throw up on another host.
Last edited by Jedis on Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tweelis
Arch Magus

Post by Tweelis »

Thanks for the reassurance Jedis. Out of curiosity though, how are finances doing for the site? Is it at least breaking even or are you footing most/all of the bill over the last few months? I use to toss $25 or so a year but after looking over my paypal acct it's been way longer than that.
Faern

Post by Faern »

Thank you for taking care of everything :) I am so happy to see it back up!
Goranothos
Arch Mage

Post by Goranothos »

What is the best way to go about donating to this site?
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Thanks for the offers to donate.

Right now the hosting is through Network Solutions, who charges way too much for what we use. I emailed the owner who has been paying the bills to see what he wants to do. For now, I paid to get the site online, but the $37/month hosting is a lot for what we're using.

I'm looking into moving the website to another host to lower the cost (which will also get us off the same shared server that was getting DDoS'd earlier this year due to other malicious sites running on the same server as us). I'm the admin and technical contact on the account, but don't want to mess with changing anything until I can talk to the owner first.

I'll keep you guys updated on what I find. If I can't contact him within the next couple weeks, I may ask for donations from anyone willing to help out. However, I'm not looking for anyone to give free hosting or reduced hosting. I don't want to add another layer of complexity to administering the site.
Last edited by Jedis on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.