Divine Companion Aura:

EverQuest related news and other things relevant to all members.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Re: Divine Companion Aura:

Post by Piemastaj »

yaladilae wrote:how to pull with DCA? Pop DCA on, send pet to pull. Pet refuse to attack and stand there?

You pull with malo, send pet, pop DCA on, aggro reset to 1, mob hits you?

And I love the weaponshield idea, only thing to note is, weaponshield only blocks frontal attacks i believe. Not saying if its good or bad
You engage pet, pet hits the mob then you hit DCA. Pet will take no DMG with Aegis up and then DCA, gets the pet safely to the camp and avoids possible DDs or DoTs the mob might cast in the first few seconds.

If any mage relied so much on this AA that it will negatively impact their game play to a severe extent that is totally that persons issue. Yes it will be unfortunate to not have this to use, but really 18 seconds of free hits is only good when your in sticky situations. This AA should have only been used in Oh S*hit situations 99% of the time. We have Aegis and Iceflame procs to negate DDs and such.

Potential Weaponshield is better then a useless AA though. Frontal or not, it should not matter because you can position your pet.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Sillaen
Arch Convoker

Post by Sillaen »

I agree. This AA, at least for me was all about the smurf moments. The best solution would be to separate DCA from all other forms of DA (targeted castable DAs from other people are the problem) and leave DCA alone, but that doesn't seem like that's a possibility.

And yeah, tanks are never gonna be happy until they can wake up being able to tank the highest tier nekkid with just their fists.
yaladilae
Magician

Post by yaladilae »

Piemastaj wrote:
yaladilae wrote:how to pull with DCA? Pop DCA on, send pet to pull. Pet refuse to attack and stand there?

You pull with malo, send pet, pop DCA on, aggro reset to 1, mob hits you?

And I love the weaponshield idea, only thing to note is, weaponshield only blocks frontal attacks i believe. Not saying if its good or bad
You engage pet, pet hits the mob then you hit DCA. Pet will take no DMG with Aegis up and then DCA, gets the pet safely to the camp and avoids possible DDs or DoTs the mob might cast in the first few seconds.

If any mage relied so much on this AA that it will negatively impact their game play to a severe extent that is totally that persons issue. Yes it will be unfortunate to not have this to use, but really 18 seconds of free hits is only good when your in sticky situations. This AA should have only been used in Oh S*hit situations 99% of the time. We have Aegis and Iceflame procs to negate DDs and such.

Potential Weaponshield is better then a useless AA though. Frontal or not, it should not matter because you can position your pet.
To be fair, i agree that i don't really depend on this AA. It's just useful when merc healer die on a named (because you know how the cleric merc likes to tank) and I can pop it just to give me a chance to run away and drape (dead pet can't drape)

Or popping it on tough situation before going into twincast to makesure i don't have to spot heal (this almost never happen)

But i also feel its a waste now, this chance, and totally agree on the weaponshield idea
sharrien
Elementalist

Post by sharrien »

I think that the tanks who are complaining need to get thru their heads that our pets are not merely dots that happen to have a graphic model. They also serve mages as our tanks when needed. I remember back when a light blue con mob would destroy my pet despite spamming everything in the arsenal and I never want to see those days again.
Primal Elementalist Ravingronn Blazewarden, Master Artisan, Master Researcher
Savage Spirit Sharrien Dreamstalker, Master Artisan
Celestial Navigators - Maelin Starpyre
Aither
Elementalist

Post by Aither »

Piemastaj wrote:

^^ Couldn't have said it better.
Danille

Post by Danille »

For the mage who loves to solo and who enjoys playing on the edge, the loss of this aa is absolutely terrible! It needs to be replaced with weaponshield
blazegno
Trial Member

Post by blazegno »

So what exactly will pet DA do for us now? I mainly use this when I solo and if I can't cast when this is active I am inclined to think this was a waste of AA. I must be missing something.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Well this ability can still be used as effectively as we used it before the nerf in some situations.

I tested this out last night.

Essentially your pets aggro will be at 0, so all you need to do is make your aggro 0 before you touch the mob. To use this ability like we were before on named, engage your pet and DO NOT touch the mob with anything at all on your Magician. Get your burns up or whatever, hit Silent casting then DA your pet. You can now nuke freely with no worries for 18 seconds.

Basically it works like proxy aggro since nothing technically has aggro the mob will attack the thing closest to it. Granted it is not necessarily the same, it does allow us to have a free 18 seconds of hits from the mob if you use it at the beginning of the encounter.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Danille

Post by Danille »

Which if you do anything to aggro the mob at all the DA'ed pet will not even get hit for all of those 18 seconds.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Danille wrote:Which if you do anything to aggro the mob at all the DA'ed pet will not even get hit for all of those 18 seconds.
Not if you just engage your pet, like I said in my post. It is a viable option to get 18 seconds of free DMG, if you choose to not use it that is 100% your call.