Slow forums?

News, suggestions or comments relating to the website.
Forum rules
Please only use this area for posting suggestions or comments about the website. Thanks!
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Slow forums?

Post by Merlaina »

Is it just me or have download rates/request times been really slow on the forum lately? I know some tinkering is being done, but can someone fill us in? It's not a deal breaker or anything, just curious.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: Slow forums?

Post by Voragath »

Slow for me too. Hasn't been bad last two days but today is horrible. Took me 2 minutes to load up the main page but only a few seconds for eqlive =(

Edit: Hmm..after navigating a few slow pages, it got faster and faster and seems to be loading quickly now. Kinda bizarre there.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Voragath wrote:Slow for me too. Hasn't been bad last two days but today is horrible. Took me 2 minutes to load up the main page but only a few seconds for eqlive =(

Edit: Hmm..after navigating a few slow pages, it got faster and faster and seems to be loading quickly now. Kinda bizarre there.
Just curious, which browser are you using? I believe some will recursively precache a site, following links and caching the pages. That would explain why you saw slow speeds at first but then they progressively sped up. I think firefox has this as an option, but I don't think it's on by default.
Crystilla

Post by Crystilla »

Today I'm having massive issues on the site - keep getting the "no page found" type of message. And page/thread selection is going very slow as well.
At work so IE8 is what we're using.
Crystilla
EQ Community Leader
Valorguard of Erollisi Marr
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Crystilla wrote:Today I'm having massive issues on the site - keep getting the "no page found" type of message. And page/thread selection is going very slow as well.
I think the "No page found" thing isn't necessarily related. I've gotten that before when work is being done on the site, such as when the LFG section was added a few days ago. Also, I always got to this site by typing http://www.eqmagetower.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in my browser address bar (though it autofilled most of that). Before it would redirect directly to the forums. Now it takes me to some kind of "under construction" type site. So I'm pretty sure work of some type is being done, just not sure if that's what is slowing everything down. And for the record I'm using Chrome
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Something is definitely up - I keep getting the errors that the page cannot be found too. And one time I got an error that had a different mage tower logo.

I haven't heard from the owner lately and am not sure what is going on. I had planned on updating the forums and making changes, but the server info I was given was not a correct login/password. So I have not been able to make any changes outside of the phpBB admin control panel.

I do know the hosting is through Network Solutions. I would think they should be more reliable than this...
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Merlaina wrote:
Crystilla wrote:Today I'm having massive issues on the site - keep getting the "no page found" type of message. And page/thread selection is going very slow as well.
I think the "No page found" thing isn't necessarily related. I've gotten that before when work is being done on the site, such as when the LFG section was added a few days ago. Also, I always got to this site by typing http://www.eqmagetower.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in my browser address bar (though it autofilled most of that). Before it would redirect directly to the forums. Now it takes me to some kind of "under construction" type site. So I'm pretty sure work of some type is being done, just not sure if that's what is slowing everything down. And for the record I'm using Chrome
Yes, the No page found is not related to anything that I've been able to do through the ACP. Also, creating a new forum does not taken down the forums - it allows them to be worked on while they're up and running. There is an option to turn the forums off for updating, but even with full admin privs in the ACP, there's no function I can do that requires the forums to be offline. That would be for updating the forum software version, database, or moving the forums to another URL.

In any case, I have made another full backup of the forum software "just in case" something were to happen.
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Post by najiwench »

I've been having similar problems on another forum I visit...it may be something else going on with the hosts or something...the owner of that forum says that it isn't on HER side, and there are so many users having the same issue, it's hard to believe it's on the user side, so we are thinking server side...*shrugs*
Siggy by Eireann
Jedis
Administrator

Post by Jedis »

Yeah, I believe it's shared hosting, so it's probably another site on the same box that is misbehaving.
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Using Firefox here. If it's precaching, it's a default feature because I don't mess with that stuff lol

Was a little slow this time but not too bad.