Rehash?

A home for posts concerning previous expansions.
Jaytee
Conjurer

Rehash?

Post by Jaytee »

So I recently came back to EQ and the last two expansions have been a retelling of old ones somewhat? It is not a terrible thing, I really enjoyed Velious and Luclin the first time so I don't mind the rehash really. The biggest thing to me has been that without stumbling onto a group who have been nice enough to help me out, I would be completely lost.
I actually like that spells have remained the same a bit as it gives me time to catch up on things. Pets are insane now vs original EQ. My level 117 water per solo'd the plane of water including corinav. That was amazing to me while remembering what a challenge that was originally.
Sancus
Conjurer

Re: Rehash?

Post by Sancus »

Welcome back! To answer your question, yes, expansions now "revisit" existing locations with modern storylines.

After SOE was sold and became Daybreak Games, the size of the team was slashed pretty substantially. The first subsequent expansion (The Broken Mirror) re-used existing zone assets as "new" zones following EQ2 (Anashti Sul) lore. That didn't go over super well, and since then they've mostly released graphical re-works of existing zones.

EoK & RoS revisited Kunark, TBL had all new zones but was based upon the planes of Fire, Air, and Earth, ToV & CoV revisited Velious, and ToL revisits Luclin.