Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Help rebuild the Library of Knowledge for Magicians.
User avatar
Darkenr
Volunteer
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 am

Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:51 pm

I made this in response to another mage's question about the pet focus on my guild's forums, and decided I would throw the same post up in the library section for people new to the magician class, or just didn't know as much about the internal mechanics of how pet focuses work post SoF. I didn't find anything that went this in depth on the pet focus, so I apologize if this is already up somewhere on the forums. The information in this topic are all based around the SoF era pets or later.

The pet focus will change nearly all things about your pet, including hps, AC, level, damage (both melee and spell), and depending on the level of a pet focus will determine the strength of a special cloak that will get presummoned on your pet that was introduced in SoF. This cloak will only come presummoned on the level 76+ pets and only if you actually have a pet focus that can affect the pet (and yes it also gets pre summoned on necro, and bst pets as well). Lower tier pet focuses will summon a lower tier cloak like in the example picture below, but if you get a raid level pet focus that cloak will have near, or fully capped out mod2s.

One thing to note is currently the nuke the fire pet casts is only affected by the pet's level. So if you upgrade the pet focus that will bring the pet from level 81 to level 82, you will see a minor upgrade. It's really insignificant upgrade though. You may only be getting a 50-100point upgrade at max (I believe it's less than that). The fire pet still gains every other stat though from pet focuses explained in the previous paragraph.

Ex of a group level pet focus cloak that is auto equipped on summon:
Image
Ex of a maxed level pet focus cloak. Thanks to Elizabeta for providing a screenshot of a newer focus cloak than the one I originally had for this topic.
Image

In the picture at the bottom of the topic is the pet stats of all of the 81-85 mage pets, and their stats depending on the pet focus.

I currently only have the EMIV pet focus so I will use that as my benchmark.

If you notice, the difference between an unfocussed air pet to even an EMIV focussed air pet is like night and day in the difference in power. The EMIV air pet has 4k more hps than the unfocussed version, and nearly double the AC. Also, the EMIV focus is at the moment considered a raid focus, so the cloak that's presummoned on it has near capped mod2s from my own testing (30+% shielding, spell shielding, near 100 avoidance, etc). So you would be going from 0 mod2s to nearly full which as anyone knows, mod2s make a very significant difference in overall player power.

A couple notes to interpret the stats of the pets in the charts below:

The AC looks low, but that's only because the AC is pure AC without any kind of soft caps on AC.

To determine how hard a pet will hit for unbuffed (without aura, BO modifiers, or other increase damage modifier buffs) you take the Base damage x2, plus the min damage.

Ex.
Unfocussed Air pet: 112 x 2 + 102 = 326
EMIV Focussed Air pet: 136 x 2 + 127 = 399

Unfocussed RS pet: 292 x 2 + 292 = 876
EMIV Focussed RS pet: 360 x 2 + 361 = 1081

Image
Last edited by Potawatomi on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Voragath
Grand Summoner
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:08 pm

Could have sworn that it was stated Fire pet is max out of the box because they couldn't get the focus affect on it worked out properly so they just gave us max fire pet. Would help to have this confirmed one way or the other.

Would like to add, only the mage pets come with gear (cloak is a different story) so the necros and beasts will still have to grovel at our feet for gear. Not sure who is reading your guide, but I made sure that my guild saw a note that stated only mage pets come pre-summoned with the coolest armor to avoid confusion because beasts and necros were included in that board.

Nice guide!
Image
User avatar
Darkenr
Volunteer
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:58 am

Voragath wrote:Could have sworn that it was stated Fire pet is max out of the box because they couldn't get the focus affect on it worked out properly so they just gave us max fire pet. Would help to have this confirmed one way or the other.

Would like to add, only the mage pets come with gear (cloak is a different story) so the necros and beasts will still have to grovel at our feet for gear. Not sure who is reading your guide, but I made sure that my guild saw a note that stated only mage pets come pre-summoned with the coolest armor to avoid confusion because beasts and necros were included in that board.

Nice guide!
No, the fire pet is still affected by the pet focuses just the same as any other pet on everything melee dps/tanking related (as you can see in the pet statistics picture). The nuke it casts raises slightly as the pet raises in level do to the pet focus raising the level of the fire pet. That is easily confirmed.

What you're thinking of is that the devs were having problems getting the nuke to scale correctly between the different focus levels, so they raised that damage to higher than they normally would have it for an unfocussed pet to still make the nuke useful for those that would have pet focuses higher than unfocussed.

The minor damage increase I was talking about was because of the damage increase that spells have based on level. If you notice in this link http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?i ... ource=Live...

Decrease Hitpoints by 2375 (L1) to 3215 (L85)

I'm too tired to do the math, but as you notice, at level 1 (if the pet were level 1) would do only 2375 damage per nuke. At 85 it would do 3215. So there is a minor damage increase between say an unfocussed fire pet (pet level 80) in comparison to a raid level pet (pet level 84).

I hope I explained it correctly?
User avatar
Voragath
Grand Summoner
Posts: 1165
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:14 am

Ok, got it. Thanks for clearing that up. Was wondering how the two bits of information fit together lol
Math not necessary, it speaks for itself (to me, anyway).

Good to know that good ol' goflamer still has a dps increase upon focus upgrades, however slight in comparison.
Image
User avatar
qibrme
Conjurer
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Darkenr wrote:
No, the fire pet is still affected by the pet focuses just the same as any other pet on everything melee dps/tanking related (as you can see in the pet statistics picture). The nuke it casts raises slightly as the pet raises in level do to the pet focus raising the level of the fire pet. That is easily confirmed.

I seem to remember Fire pet nuke capping out around EM6. -- I might be wrong as far as which focus it caps at.
I turn off pet damage spam so don't really look at it, but IIRC there was a post about other stats like HP's increasing with EM7 and EM8 however the nuke damage stays the same.
The other pets do better DPS with each focus level.

Suediwenae...
User avatar
Darkenr
Volunteer
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:49 pm

qibrme wrote:
Darkenr wrote:
No, the fire pet is still affected by the pet focuses just the same as any other pet on everything melee dps/tanking related (as you can see in the pet statistics picture). The nuke it casts raises slightly as the pet raises in level do to the pet focus raising the level of the fire pet. That is easily confirmed.

I seem to remember Fire pet nuke capping out around EM6. -- I might be wrong as far as which focus it caps at.
I turn off pet damage spam so don't really look at it, but IIRC there was a post about other stats like HP's increasing with EM7 and EM8 however the nuke damage stays the same.
The other pets do better DPS with each focus level.

Suediwenae...
Actually that's easily answered as well in the chart above that shows the stats of the pets based on focus level. At EMIV our pets get to level 84 which is the highest level the 81-85 pets can get, so starting at EMIV and higher the fire pet is at the maximum damage it can be until we get a level cap increase next expansion after underfoot.
User avatar
IblisTheMage
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:29 am

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:47 pm

how can you loot the focus cloak?

Duel? make the pet go rogue somehow?
User avatar
Darkenr
Volunteer
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:06 am

IblisTheMage wrote:how can you loot the focus cloak?

Duel? make the pet go rogue somehow?
The only way to do it is to get the pet to go rogue. I don't know of any way currently to consistently get a pet to go rogue. It just seems to be an occasional, but rare bug with charm.
User avatar
Laeaddor
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:46 pm

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:20 am

I had my pet go rogue when I was killed just as my summon pet spell went off. We were all surprised when it later attacked, and even more surprised to see the phat lewt it was stowing.
User avatar
Darkenr
Volunteer
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:03 am

Re: Pet Focuses and how they affect our pets.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Laeaddor wrote:I had my pet go rogue when I was killed just as my summon pet spell went off. We were all surprised when it later attacked, and even more surprised to see the phat lewt it was stowing.
hehe yep! :) It's great fun when a pet goes rogue. Did you take a screenshot of the cloak that was on it? We should try to collect more screenies of those cloaks. If anyone knows of more of those cloaks, please link them here and I'll update the original post with more of those screenshots.

Thanks,

Return to “Library”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest