So came back

Anything EQ related that doesn't fall into another category goes here.
Mantria

So came back

Post by Mantria »

And am totally lost.

Little history:

Played from '99 to 2004 almost obsessively. Got to around 1k AA and stopped at level 75. Was in Triton Guild on Povar for most of that time so that can tell you how much I played.
Got 75% through epic 2.0.

Suddenly I just lost interest and stopped. Stopped in once in awhile to see how things were going but didn't catch the bug again until this last few weeks.

I HC'd a level 1 mage to 85 and got all that gear and AAs and a merc that is a healer. I am so lost it isn't funny. I have no idea how ANYONE who has never played a mage could possibly play a heroic mage. I mean I had very good mage mechanics down before I left. Shook the rust off and was doing just fine with rotations and pet and what not. Raised the level 1 to 85 and suddenly I was so lost almost said screw it.

I've read some of the info here and other places and must say there is a crap ton of it now. I have 18 of the 20 expansions. Only silver account because I'm still not sure I am willing to play that much but might still give it a try.

Anyway if you see Remitra hanging around looking lost, say howdy:)

ps Sure is nice to see the Tower still going strong after all these years:)
Voragath
Grand Summoner

Re: So came back

Post by Voragath »

There is a ton of info. Best thing to do is to join serverwide.magicians:fluffy

Our wiki, linked on the left, has a section titled "returning to eq" and that will help as well.

I agree, there is a ton of stuff to learn, many changes, and many nuances. Things like pet backstab no longer works, rains are powerful again, the earth pet at 94 and 98 will proc a defensive rune when he tries to root a mob, Frenzied Burnout will make the fire pet cast more damaging spells, pets come with all armor and a mask at 76+ (Enhanced Minion Focii add a cloak), etc.

A comprehensive list would be just as exhausting as starting out at 85. I am teaching my girlfriend how to play mage from level 1 because it's so much. The class is still extremely fun and we have way more tools to do things. My best advice I give returning players is to relax and take your time relearning and, soon enough, you'll be back on your feet and relishing the class :D
Forte

Post by Forte »

Odd... my waterpet will BS just fine. Needs to have weapons to do it from the front though.

Mantria - Do not depend on the merc any more than you have to. Too many mages are dependant on their mercs, and can no longer function well if the merc isn't up when the s**t hits the fan ( which it always does, sooner or later ).

Voragath
Grand Summoner

Post by Voragath »

Sorry, I meant assassinate, not backstab. Yes, he will bs from all directions with a weapon; otherwise he must be in the back.
Cuedymage
Trial Member

Post by Cuedymage »

I played EQ from PoP to Depths of Darkhollow. My raiding guild did a flameout, e'rybody hated e'rybody. I walked away and have played EQ2 ever since.

But I do miss my mage. I logged in the other day and logged back out in frustration. I'm level 85. I'm busting my head trying to even remember where an 85 level mage 1100ish AAs would go play.

I realize I will have to relearn the game and it will take time. Anybody care to give a nudge where I should go to get my soloing legs back under me?
Potawatomi
Volunteer

Post by Potawatomi »

Korascian Warrens would be a decent place to start. Anywhere in SoD, Seeds of Destruction, really since those are all tuned around 85. You could also hit up Gyrospire Beza/zeka, most of the mobs are constructs and it would be easy to solo.