Rep. apologizes to BP for Obama 'shakedown'??

Anything about anything goes here.
Bastler
Conjurer

Rep. apologizes to BP for Obama 'shakedown'??

Post by Bastler »

Well, that was fast. Barely 10 minutes into Thursday's landmark congressional testimony — where BP CEO Tony Hayward and other leading company executives are revisiting the Gulf Coast oil spill before a subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee — the first controversial statement has entered the record.

[The latest coverage of the hearings, updated continuously throughout the day, is available from the Associated Press and from Reuters.]

And no, it didn't come from the gaffe-prone BP brass. Instead, GOP Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, the ranking member on the House Energy Committee, made a decisive splash in his opening remarks (from which Republican leaders immediately began distancing themselves). A staunch conservative who has a long record of backing oil industry interests, Barton apologized to BP CEO Tony Hayward for the "shakedown" the Obama White House pulled on the company. (Barton has received more than $1.5 million in campaign donations from the oil industry, according to Open Secrets, a nonpartisan watchdog group.)..

"I'm not speaking for anybody in the House of Representatives but myself," Barton explained, "but I'm ashamed of what happened in the White House yesterday. I think it is a tragedy of the first proportion that a private corporation can be subjected to what I would characterize as a shakedown. In this case a $20 billion shakedown."..

Wrapping up, Barton said: "I apologize. I do not want to live in a country where any time a citizen or a corporation does something that is legitimately wrong, is subject to some sort of political pressure that is, again, in my words — amounts to a shakedown, so I apologize."

As Sam Stein of the Huffington Post points out, this isn't the first time that Barton has shown conspicuous deference to the interests of offshore oil drillers in deepwater. At a meeting of the House Subcommittee on Air Quality in 2004, Barton announced that "Offshore drilling and productions platforms are so technologically advanced that one platform on the surface of the water can handle production from several different wells several miles apart, house a myriad of technologically advances computer systems, enable people to face and conquer the adversisties of living in the middle of the ocean, and do so for 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all without losing so much as losing a gum wrapper over the side of the platform. It is truly amazing."

— Brett Michael Dykes is a national affairs writer for Yahoo! News.
Impressive, your politicians really arent ashamed of much are they?
Bastler
Conjurer

Spineless Wimp? Sorry for having been sorry...

Post by Bastler »

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Joe Barton created a political furor Thursday by first apologizing to BP CEO Tony Hayward at a morning hearing on the gulf oil spill -- for what the Texas Republican called a White House "shakedown" that created a $20 billion escrow fund -- and then being forced to retract it after coming under intense GOP pressure that almost stripped him of his position as ranking member on the House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Barton issued a statement later that afternoon retracting the apology he made -- a statement that mobilized Republicans and Democrats alike.

"I apologize for using the term 'shakedown' with regard to yesterday's actions at the White House in my opening statement this morning," said Barton, "and I retract my apology to BP."

President Obama and administration officials met with BP executives and hammered out an agreement for a $20 billion escrow fund over three years to compensate victims of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

In an unusual joint statement, House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio, Minority Whip Eric Cantor of Virginia and Republican Conference Chairman Mike Pence of Indiana said: "Congressman Barton's statements this morning were wrong. BP itself has acknowledged that responsibility for the economic damages lies with them and has offered an initial pledge of $20 billion dollars for that purpose."
A rattlesnake has more spine then this guy.
Danille

Re: Rep. apologizes to BP for Obama 'shakedown'??

Post by Danille »

He needs to take a trip down to the local wharf and have lunch (a beating) from the local (former) fishermen!
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Re: Spineless Wimp? Sorry for having been sorry...

Post by najiwench »

Bastler wrote:
A rattlesnake has more spine then this guy.
Well, yeah...that's about all a rattlesnake has... :mrgreen:

but I agree, this guy is a turd.
Siggy by Eireann
jack96jill
Arch Mage

Re: Rep. apologizes to BP for Obama 'shakedown'??

Post by jack96jill »

he was probably looking forward to the yacht race :roll: