City of Heroes!!

Anything about anything goes here.
Remodius
Grand Summoner

City of Heroes!!

Post by Remodius »

City of Heroes is pretty cool. I bit repetitive, but I like the character creator, I like the costumes, I like the leveling system, I like the graphics, I like the combat, I like the module/dungeon designs. Very good game, IMHO.

My character, Mitzi Boombooms:

Image and

I usually play on Freedom server. Say hi sometime!
I had this really smurf awesome quote by RFK, but because we are only allowed 255 characters, I can't put it up here, so I am writing this in protest of a stupid smurf limitation.
najiwench
Grand Summoner

Re: City of Heroes!!

Post by najiwench »

I've thought about checking out this game...may give it a go one of these days.
Siggy by Eireann
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

I tried it a few months after it first came out (whenever they launched their first free trial) and I wasn't overly impressed. It was ok, but the best part imo was the character creator. Though it might be the coolest character creator of any game. :)
Fazzadien
Magician

Post by Fazzadien »

I still play off and on, usually when RL friends are available to play. I will spend a bit more time on it once the update hits in the next week or so - updated graphics, new powerset (for those who preordered the new expansion due out this summer) and other various game updates.

I agree it can be repetitive, but even that has been lessened due to the sheer amount of missions out there now between the official missions and the Architect missions. And if you can't find something you like, you can make your own missions! I mainly enjoy the story arcs and exploring, which is why I don't play very often generally speaking, but it is definitely something I keep coming back to.

I didn't try Champions Online, but from what I read about it, it doesn't come up to CoH's level. Maybe it's not a huge subset of MMOs, but CoH is still king of the hill. :)
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

Make your own missions? Ok, that is pretty cool. That was what I voted for in the SOE survey. I'd love to see player made content added to EQ, though not sure how they'd go about making the rewards balanced (if there were rewards at all).
Fazzadien
Magician

Post by Fazzadien »

Well, I haven't done any architect stuff for a while, but initially at least the rewards in a mission were your standard exp and basic drops. Apparently now they've included some other mission completion rewards to player created missions that don't use custom villains or otherwise go too far afield of the dev-created stuff.

I think it'd be more difficult to implement something like this in EQ, at least to the same extent as CoH since almost all the missions are instanced there anyways so it's not that hard to make missions from scratch. Perhaps it could be done along the same way as player event style quests were done back in the day - scavenger hunts and the like. Make a bazaar-like interface, put the rewards into the window, and stand there as a quest-giver. Wouldn't be great for making missions for yourself to do, as you'd basically be providing your own reward, but it would be good for parties and stuff.

So yeah, rarely used! :) Hopefully they can come up with something though, it would be nice to have in EQ! I'd expect it to show up in EQ2 sooner than EQ though, as it's much more quest-driven.
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

I think it could be done in EQ if they made it a full on expansion, but I'm not sure people would be down with that. Here's how it works in my mind:

Players are given a set number of zones (say 10 smallish and 5 medium sized) and mob models (maybe 5-10 new and another 10 older) to choose from for use in their custom instanced zone. Players can then create the stats, spells cast, and behavior of mobs and place them in this instanced zone. They would also be given limited scripting access so events can be triggered. The players then set goals for the tasks just like normal tasks have now, and then they get a reward based on the difficulty of the task. You can have diffculty defined in a number of ways:

1 - Some type of difficulty evaluator system that's automatic, such as gauging the difficulty of mobs based on damage, attack speed, spell damage, level, hp, how close together they are placed, flags placed on them such as unmezzable, etc.

2 - A player feedback system where people could run the mission with no reward aside from the xp given, or maybe some kind of 'tester' currency used at adventure merchant type people.

3 - SOE could maintain a small set of staff/volunteers to evaluate the difficulty.

Based on the difficulty the creator would have points they could spend on the reward. The higher you raise one stat on an item the faster points would be spent to raise it further. Think like shroud AA points. For example say you create an instance rated at 10000 difficulty. For every HP/MANA/END below 500 would cost 1 point each, 500-600 cost 2 points, each, 600-700 4 points each, etc. Shielding might be 100 for the first point, 200 for the 2nd, 800 for the 3rd point, yadda yadda. This would keep items close to balanced since you'd hit diminishing returns, but would still leave the possibility for a +10 DOT shielding amulet with low HP and Mana if the creator wanted to make that instead.

Obviously this is just a draft idea and I haven't thought this too far through. This would require a lot of work from the developers, since I doubt they'd want to just hand over their current development tools. They'd have to give the community a stripped down version (and probably prettified). Still, I'd imagine the community could come up with some great tasks if handed a toolset like this.
Fazzadien
Magician

Post by Fazzadien »

I'd think it would be more feasible to make the rewards another alternate currency, which you'd trade in for official dev-created items at a vendor. Much easier for the devs to keep positive control on item balance, such as it is.

That said, while it would be possible to handle it as a new expansion, I don't know if they would. I know that CoH has a HUGE catalogue of player-created missions, but in general, I mainly see them being used as a farm tool or to level faster (or PL faster). There are some seriously cool missions in there, but there's also a lot of farm missions that are populated solely with boss villains, no minions or lieutenants.

I don't know. Maybe it'll come as a low-effort expansion at some point. I'm just not optimistic that the game really supports something that much in the players control.