Where are People Soloing in UF?

Things to do once you've hit the max level cap.
Tacoma2586
Elementalist

Re: Where are People Soloing in UF?

Post by Tacoma2586 »

heh man danille you really must be a bad mage lol. i can solo elementals, burynai in BR effectively solo. can do goos in CC effectively solo. pg spheres fine. plants in BR. can do frogs/spiders in FF. now im sorry you dont believe its possible and im sorry for you. maybe you would like to post you magelo sig so i can point out what least your wearing thats prolly wrong. maybe you can post what youve tried can help you there but get the notion mages can solo effectively out of your mind.

svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

I took my discussion with Danille to PM's as requested.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

Thank you for taking it to PMs. I am not a huge fan of measuring who the better mage is ( ie: e-peen). UF is fairly hard to regular solo without using a lot of our tricks. And I think that is an issue really. We shouldn't need to burn all of our AAs to drop a mob in a T8 zone (not saying it is required, just giving an example). In Convort or Husk, yes we should have to use anything and everything to bring a mob down since those are the end-zones.

I find that mercs have made mage killing a lot easier and a lot more boring. But it also allows us to get through things a lot faster then strictly solo which I like them for that fact.

Please be respectful to people on these forums also.

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Danille

Post by Danille »

to people who dont like what is in a thread....dont click it open to read.
Sunlace

Post by Sunlace »

Shardin wrote:Don't take it personally, but there are those among us who are fed up with the degradation of the mage class's ability to solo new content.

As I have read there are others who are perfectly satisfied with the mage class's ability to solo. I do think it is important to make the distinction between moloing and soloing when talking about trends in pet power. Mercs are not mage pets, and therefore you can't compare soloing older content with moloing newer content. Especially when it means having a stupid merc who loves to get whacked by mobs scooting around you :lol:
Thank you.

Imho, a mage should be able to solo without a merc, not the end zones, but normal content. Mercenaries are helpful, of course, but it should never be a requirement to use one.

Sorry for derail, now we can back to soloing (or is it moloing in UF ;) ).
Merlaina
Arch Convoker

Post by Merlaina »

I think many people take mercs for granted now and forget that they're not mage pets (as Shardin put it). When people complain about how well mages "solo" in UF, really they're usually talking about moloing. We are one of the classes that benefit most from cleric mercs since a mage + pet + merc is dps + tank + healer, which is historically all you really need for a group. Our pet isn't the best tank, our merc isn't the best healer, and by ourselves we're not the best DPS, but when you look at the whole package we can certainly take most content since we do make our own mini-group. Without the cleric merc we have to provide the healing ourselves, and while we do have some decent pet heals it's certainly not as good as having a dedicated healer, especially since any time we spend healing is time we're not DPSing. There's also the perk that healing pets doesn't give the healer any aggro (well, it puts them on the hate list, but that's it), so a dumb cleric merc can heal all day long and never draw any aggro.

When you compare how hard it is to solo something now compared to the difficulty soloing in SoF, I think the difficulty has certainly increased. I can't say how much since I was on a break from EQ then and didn't come back until SoD, so I went straight from 70 to 85 and didn't get to spend much time in the 75-80 range that was appropriate for SoF, but from what I recall none of the mobs in the lower tier zones (DSH, Loping Planes) seemed nearly as hard to even a level 80 mage as the T6 and T7 UF content does to an 85 mage. Can we solo T6 and T7 content? Sure, it's certainly doable. I tend to agree with Danille though that I can't really solo "efficiently" there. SoF, however, had plenty of content that an 80 mage could solo easily, even in the higher level areas. When you compare the difficulty to solo in those two expansions, the most recent and the last one without mercs, it seems there is a stark contrast in soloability.

However I also suggest that it is not necessarily our power that is the problem, but the difficulty of the content in general. I don't think I've heard ANY classes say they can solo in UF well, and when the expansion first came out there was certainly a lot of talk about how it was the next Gates of Discord: an overly hard expansion with no level increase. I think because of mercs we're seeing the overall difficulty of the game tuned up because players are expected to have missing group slots filled with mercs.
svenalo
Arch Magus

Post by svenalo »

For the most part I agree with your assessment.
Danille

Post by Danille »

Spot on!
Tacoma2586
Elementalist

Post by Tacoma2586 »

lol poor poor dan. and curious since u asked what another mages char name was or link to magelo how bout you. your dedicated to 1 sided here. why not show what your using so we might see why you feel this way.
Malleria
Arch Mage

Post by Malleria »

Tacoma2586 wrote:lol poor poor dan. and curious since u asked what another mages char name was or link to magelo how bout you. your dedicated to 1 sided here. why not show what your using so we might see why you feel this way.
Danille is their toon name, so based on that you should be able to find everything else you asked for...