Becoming the best that I can

Things to do once you've hit the max level cap.
User avatar
Laldyen_Mage
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:25 am

Oh cool.. I didn't think you can cast on RS pets. Ill have to try that also =)

Anything that I can do to put out more DPS or kill bigger things is always nice to know

Thanks soo much guys. Really great community here :mrgreen:
Laldyen
User avatar
Sillaen
Arch Convoker
Posts: 522
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Laldyen_Mage wrote:Okay been testing the ''divide and conquer'' tactic and I've been doing really well with it.. During Lessons runs in Thal I would grab a couple and have fluffy tank 1-2 and then chain cast RS to take on extra. Seems to work really well.. If thats not the right way please let me know.
Laldyen :)
On lesson burns, I wouldn't be chain casting RS at all. Actually when I burn lesson, I typically remove RS from my spell lineup altogether, but I do lesson burns where my pet can tank a dozen mobs at a time easily. Chaining RS wastes too much mana to use it in a lesson burn. I'd recommend simply using RS as a distraction.
Example: If you pull 3 mobs and your pet can only handle 2, casts RS on 1 to keep occupied then assist your pet and burn 1 of the 2 on pet to the ground. If you are quick enough, you can kill 1 before your RS poofs and now your pet can safely tank the 2 that's left. Chain casting RSs outside of raid burns is not the best use of your mana.
Laldyen_Mage wrote: Also started Nuke Weaving and im overly impressed. Works really great and dps is going up considerably. Just wanting 1 more instant clicky nuke (just using paradox atm)..
Laldyen :)
Try to get molten orb and lava orb. I always have those 2 plus the paradox clicky loaded in my potion belt.
Image
User avatar
Merlaina
Arch Convoker
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 am

If you're fighting very easy mobs (such as Katta Elementals) you might also consider having frigid paradox loaded (or whatever our highest ice clicky summon is). Since RS often doesn't get to go for full duration on weaker mobs, when you get a GoM proc summon one of these instead, and then try to burn through you clicks on these as quickly as possible so it's gone and you're ready to summon another on the next GoM proc.
User avatar
nako
Conjurer
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:09 am

Sillaen wrote:Actually when I burn lesson, I typically remove RS from my spell lineup altogether.../snip
I can't imagine a single scenario where I'd un-mem RS. Well, maybe if I was beam kiting smurftons of mobs, but even then, it's not like we have something more useful to replace it with.. even if you only had 8 spell slots. Hell, it's still part of my buff/toy spell sets, because every time you need to rebuff or make toys someone ends up pulling something right as you drop your combat set.

Even if you pet tank a dozen mobs at a time, what would you be casting on GoM's that can out dps a garg pet? Unless you pull 12 mobs every 12 minutes you can silent cast, I can't see the logic there. Or if you're beaming pet-tanked mobs without the need for silent casting I would assume 12 is the upper end of the norm and about 6-8 or so is average, in which case garg is still more damage per cast than beam. Hell, if it was 12 mobs every time, RS would still be more damage per cast on most occasions. Beam averages about 4k per target or so -- ~50k per cast -- garg averages about 55-60k per cast, going as low as 40k or spiking to 70k+. Again that's assuming max pet aa and RS melee'ing full duration.
Sillaen wrote:Chain casting RSs outside of raid burns is not the best use of your mana.
It is in UF -- It's situational yeah, chaining RS's isn't the best use of mana against trash that will die in 15-20 seconds anyways. However, with max pet aa's, RS is just about our most mana efficient dps, assuming pet dps's the full 30+ seconds.
Laldyen_Mage wrote:During Lessons runs in Thal I would grab a couple and have fluffy tank 1-2 and then chain cast RS to take on extra.
It's been a while since I was last in Thallasius, but I don't think your pet would have much trouble tanking 3. As Sillaen said, it's a makeshift tank for when your pet can't handle an additional mob. If you're pulling 3 and your pet can tank 3 just fine, save RS for GoM's. If you're pulling 2 and then run off to pull a 3rd with RS -- you're going about it the wrong way (unless the first two are nearly dead and you just GoM'd).

-nako/saryrn
User avatar
Sillaen
Arch Convoker
Posts: 522
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:52 pm

nako wrote:
Sillaen wrote:Actually when I burn lesson, I typically remove RS from my spell lineup altogether.../snip
I can't imagine a single scenario where I'd un-mem RS. Well, maybe if I was beam kiting smurftons of mobs, but even then, it's not like we have something more useful to replace it with.. even if you only had 8 spell slots. Hell, it's still part of my buff/toy spell sets, because every time you need to rebuff or make toys someone ends up pulling something right as you drop your combat set.

Even if you pet tank a dozen mobs at a time, what would you be casting on GoM's that can out dps a garg pet? Unless you pull 12 mobs every 12 minutes you can silent cast, I can't see the logic there. Or if you're beaming pet-tanked mobs without the need for silent casting I would assume 12 is the upper end of the norm and about 6-8 or so is average, in which case garg is still more damage per cast than beam. Hell, if it was 12 mobs every time, RS would still be more damage per cast on most occasions. Beam averages about 4k per target or so -- ~50k per cast -- garg averages about 55-60k per cast, going as low as 40k or spiking to 70k+. Again that's assuming max pet aa and RS melee'ing full duration.
-nako/saryrn
Quite simply actually.
When solo, I still burn my lesson in Katta on elementals for ~6AA's per run. I kill 34 mobs every 5 -6 mins (6 min respawn so if I push too hard I have to sit and wait) in a specific order. Each mob dies in ~9-10 seconds so using a GoM on a RS is just a waste of time. Yes I can always step in a get hit by a bunch so RS turns on them, but then my pull order gets all out of sync and it slows me down.
The only thing I use when burning here is annihilates, 1 AE nuke (for those pet will kill while I'm out pulling some more), twincast, FBO and robe clickies. I don't even use SoR or HoE on these. The biggest waste of time when burning a lesson is the pull time. If my pull sequence gets all out of whack, it actually slows me down.
Image
User avatar
nako
Conjurer
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Ah Katta elementals, those pulls are annoying yeah, craptons of casters and whacky pathing.
User avatar
Redius
Conjurer
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:31 pm

nako wrote:Ah Katta elementals, those pulls are annoying yeah, craptons of casters and whacky pathing.
Is why I don't burn lesson in Katta; plenty of easier spots with better aa exp and less annoyance.
Image
User avatar
Merlaina
Arch Convoker
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:50 am

The pathing of the Katta elementals isn't a problem once you get the hang of it. Instead of pulling to you just throw velocity on your pet and have your pet move to the next set of mobs to engage. Keep burning brimbody and DS on your pet and before the one your pet is on dies move on to the next one and let the DS/procs finish the previous mob off. You'll have to move a couple of times to make sure you have line of sight to cast, but once you get enough AA you'll be able to clear the area before you get repops and have a minute or so to regroup and med a little. Going full burn with ATA spells I can keep up with the pops here and not run completely OOM before lesson expires with roughly a 28K mana pool.

Edit: that said I still keep RS up and will often throw him against an earth elemental since those have a fair amount more HP than the other mobs on GoM proc. Otherwise GoM procs become new ice clickies.
User avatar
Sillaen
Arch Convoker
Posts: 522
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:49 am

Redius wrote:
nako wrote:Ah Katta elementals, those pulls are annoying yeah, craptons of casters and whacky pathing.
Is why I don't burn lesson in Katta; plenty of easier spots with better aa exp and less annoyance.
The pathing is not bad once you figure out your sequence.

Where exactly do you find easier spots to solo burn lesson and make more than 6AAs in one run? Please, do tell.
Edit: I remember you saying something about 10 AA's on DSH brownies. Is that still where you burn lesson? I've always found those brownies annoying. Can't even see them half the time. :)

Also Merlaina, I find it a lot easier and quicker to pull 12 mobs to my pet than to have my pet move from 1 to the other. That way there is no wasted time and the pet never needs to stop dps'ing to move. I keep no less than 5 mobs on pet at all times. Most of them just beat themselves up on the DS. I can keep the entire area down and never go below 80% mana. Do I wish there were more mobs there? Sure. But 34 mobs every 5-6 mins isn't bad and you make 3 - 5K per run average if you bother to loot.
Image
User avatar
Merlaina
Arch Convoker
Posts: 498
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Becoming the best that I can

Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:11 pm

I usually stack 8 or so on my pet when going for the center area, but aside from that I normally only have 2 mobs on my pet at a time. Haven't honestly done the Katta grind in a while and I've gotten quite a few significant upgrades since I last did it (boomerang sympathetic alleviation aug, many more pet AAs, and upgraded from EM 2 to EM 6) so I'm sure it would be even easier to stay good on mana now. I don't like to stack the others because it messes with the repop order. I have my route, and I know exactly what's going to spawn next so I can be waiting for it when it pops.

And I too hate the brownies, more because I have a hell of a time looting them.

Return to “Life After Leveling”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest