PET TAUNT - Do not forget to turn it on.

Anything relating to the magical arts (pets, spells, AAs).
Baramos
Conjurer

PET TAUNT - Do not forget to turn it on.

Post by Baramos »

Judging by 2 or 4 posts I have seen here lately it may be that people do not know that pet taunt doesn't come on "default" anymore. You have to mechanically force it. Use the button in the Pet UI, or say /pet taunt on.

Pets without taunt will get you into trouble. Sometimes. At the worst time.
Baramos
Conjurer

Re: PET TAUNT - Do not forget to turn it on.

Post by Baramos »

Of course, with some situations you want it off. Hi, Rogue.
Bastler
Conjurer

Post by Bastler »

Baramos wrote:Of course, with some situations you want it off. Hi, Rogue.
???
Please explain, Rogues can BS frontal now.
Zatpus
Elementalist

Post by Zatpus »

But still do more damage from backside, isn't it?

If you want your RS-pet to take some damage, you might want taunt off as well.

If you are grouped with another mage it might be better as well to leave taunt off.
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Well. Two things there.

i) You always want any melee pet backended for max DPS. Indiscriminately sending your pet in without a care of his position is a bad idea.

ii) Situationally, and particularly with a Rogue pet because of his mean-streak, you want pet taunt off so he doesn't grab aggro.

The reminder is here because I see a lot of new Mages these days, and they may not know that pet-out-of-the-box now comes with pet taunt off. A taunting pet can be the buffer between life and death as aggro decisions are made by MOBs.

The statement is not black-and-white. You need to decide which situations make sense. One example where taunt off was good is in kite groups, using Rogue. Once upon a time, kite groups were popular and as an SK or Necro ruled the MOB with aggro, the water pet backstabbing round-and-round could get him eaten.

Etc.
Piemastaj
Arch Magus

Post by Piemastaj »

I never have pet taunt on and I have ZERO problems with snagging aggro. I only have 9 SCS AAs aswell. Pet taunt is overrated I think, and generally i want my RmS pet taking aggro over my main pet so it requires less healing from me or my merc. Idk I guess it depends on your preference, but it really isn't life or death for me in everyday gaming.

Just my 2cp. :D

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."—Douglas Adams
Baramos
Conjurer

Post by Baramos »

Pet taunt is not over-rated. I rarely hear anyone talking about it in any fashion, much less with any enthusiasm, and no "rating" or debate to speak of.

Further, if its effect is in the noise then you could have it on or off with no penalty. The last thing I would do on a raid or group named is have pet taunt on when my water pet is backstabbing the guy ad infinitum in a frenzy.

This "no-taunt" out-of-the-box scenario came out after the "improved" pet window which was designed in with raiding specifications in the fore. It was after this change that I had question-marks appearing over my head because I was suddenly being summoned on the same nameds who would ignore me in the past. ScS wasn't a factor - I'm always at max within a few weeks of a release so it had to be something else.

The "eureka" came when I pulled the left edge of my pet window out and saw my pet wasn't taunting on summon. (Actually credit for that goes to Calebe. He'd mentioned it offhand one day and I circled back around to it when the problem arose.) Anyway, taunt on "fixed" that issue. It was only a controlled setting to the extent of my experience on the same nameds, which I had cause to camp 232356 times for friends and alts.

So, it can be powerful in my experience. It is a nice tool in the kit when considering aggregate aggro. Summoning nameds, particularly, can get very annoyed with a weave tossed on them. And if I am forced to summon a new pet mid-fight, particularly in a solo situation, I want the pet coming out to be taunting the MOB that is beating on me. It can also be the difference between summon/smash when getting hit with the kitchen sink by my other spells.

How one sets taunt can be important in raid situations, group situations, and solo situations. The kite group scenario I mention above is a killer-of-water-pets. He's stabbing a guy in the back while he's running after him - the last thing you want to do is simultaneously taunt. (Woops, forgot to turn taunt off was a common rejoinder of Mages in those groups when pet went splat.) And, on a raid, do you really want your pet, a huge source of your DPS, to be taunting and possibly get smashed for it?

In any case, without a scientific analysis doing a binary sweep of the variables with multiple runs on a control victim (and who wants to do something like that for something like this), it is a bad idea to dismiss a tool given to us, and which we have control of.

One more thing, for those of you who want your Servant absorbing damage, remember there is a tradeoff between a backended Servant and a tanking Servant. And don't forget how pet size factors in with respect to the hitbox of the mob.

Last, the idea is Situational Awareness, a topic which over the last few years, judging by my experience in-game (F8 /pet attack ! - chuckle), has fallen by the wayside.
qibrme
Conjurer

Post by qibrme »

Piemastaj wrote:I never have pet taunt on and I have ZERO problems with snagging aggro. I only have 9 SCS AAs aswell. Pet taunt is overrated I think, and generally i want my RmS pet taking aggro over my main pet so it requires less healing from me or my merc. Just my 2cp. :D
When I used to solo in Fortress Mech, /pet taunt on
No RS being used.
I used to love pulling with a bolt spell, get a high crit damage
Send air pet and see it take almost instant agro from me.

Taunt off and i would have to kite the mob, even after it recovered from the air pet stun.

Also with taunt on and air pet tanking a mob that is near death, chain pulling another mob with malo, the new mob will agro on the air pet without ever being hit.

Taunt has it's uses.
I normally keep it off on raids cause it is protocol to just take the death rather than gate or zone out if things go badly. Besides, there is nothing in raid content that my pet can effectively tank long enough for me to even get DA off, so more times than not, being lower down on the agro list saves me on raids.

Sued...
Redius
Conjurer

Post by Redius »

qibrme wrote:
Piemastaj wrote:I never have pet taunt on and I have ZERO problems with snagging aggro. I only have 9 SCS AAs aswell. Pet taunt is overrated I think, and generally i want my RmS pet taking aggro over my main pet so it requires less healing from me or my merc. Just my 2cp. :D
When I used to solo in Fortress Mech, /pet taunt on
No RS being used.
I used to love pulling with a bolt spell, get a high crit damage
Send air pet and see it take almost instant agro from me.

Taunt off and i would have to kite the mob, even after it recovered from the air pet stun.

Also with taunt on and air pet tanking a mob that is near death, chain pulling another mob with malo, the new mob will agro on the air pet without ever being hit.

Taunt has it's uses.

Sued...
I have had the exact same scenario's happen without bothering to turn taunt on. Frankly, I haven't bothered with taunt since they revamped the pet window.
Shardin
Conjurer

Post by Shardin »

This reminds me to make a call for saving pet states across summoning, e.g., not having to reset taunt or hold every time I summon a pet.